Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    waggintailstreat Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2005, 04:41 PM
    My Dachshund is eating my leather sofa.. help
    I don't know what to do... he has eaten a whole in the leather couch and ripped out the seam in a cushion. :confused: I've tried cleaning it, but he did more damage. Can anyone help?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2005, 04:58 PM
    Damaged possessions are the fault of whoever was watching the puppy. When you are watching it, immediately correct it as soon as it goes for anything except its own toys. In a quiet, but firm voice ''Bad dog, its name drop!''. Gently remove what ever and replace it with one of his toys, or if older, hold eye contact until the puppy drops it.

A mousetrap is very effective in making a dog leave something alone. Most
    Dogs will stay away from anywhere they were surprised by a snap. The best
    Part is that it is not you that is correcting the dog. It works whether you
    Are around or not. The mousetrap is very patient and is always on task as
    Long as you reset it. Some people have good luck with Bitter Apple spray from the pet store.

Better than mousetraps when you aren't around is the crate. Other dogs may
    Not be as bad as the young Labs I am plagued with. Still your house and dog
    Will be much safer with the dog in a crate when you are away. The dog may be
    Happier in its den than loose in the house. It relaxes, it feels safe in its
    Den. It rests, the body slows down reducing the need for water and relieving
    Its self. Dogs that have been crated all along do very well. Many of them
    Will rest in their crates even when the door is open. I think the plastic
    Ones give the dog more of a safe, enclosed den feeling. They are harder for
    Dogs to open too. Metal ones can be put in a corner or covered with
    Something the dog can't pull in and chew. Select
    A crate just big enough for the full grown dog to stretch out in.

Leave it some toys. Perhaps a Kong filled with peanut butter. Don't leave
    Anything in the crate the dog might chew up. It will do fine without even any
    Bedding. You will come home to a safe dog and a house you can enjoy.

A dog that has not been crated since it was little, make take some work.
    Start just putting its toys and treats in the crate. Praise it for going
    in. If you have been able to trust it with any bedding, put that in the crate.
    Feed it in the crate. This is also an easy way to maintain order at feeding
    Time for more than one dog.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 26, 2005, 05:15 PM
    Eat
    Don't worry, he can't eat that much of it, dachshunds are not that big.

Ok seriously are you wanting to keep the dog into another part of the hosue? If so the people who make the underground fence have a product to use in the house to keep them in certain rooms.

I have not tried it, but they make a "spray" at the pet store that is suppose to keep doggies (or kitty) off sofa

And of course taking the dog to a professional obenience class is never a good idea.

Dec 27, 2005, 04:46 PM
    Eating My Couch
    First, I'd like to say thank you both for your advise. Labman there is a book by Simon & Schuster that gives buyers facts before purchasing breeds maybe you should look into it before you purchased your labs... sorry to hear that you are plagued with your labs. :D I enjoyed my lab, rest his soul.:p My dogs are always crated when not around and when I am. The oldest one is always a nervous wreck for some reason, while the younger one lays down to rest when needed. I guess I can never turn my back on them or leave the room again...
    Fr. Chuck thanks that is a great suggestion for the room barrier. Currently we are using lawn chairs and baby gates to keep them out of certain rooms. I am a mother of a very energetic almost 4 year old, so I am use to treating my dogs like children as well, cause they are all my babies;) . Thanks again to both of you.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2005, 06:17 PM
    I have the S&S book. It says nothing about young Labs tending to shred everything they get ahold of. Dogs don't read breed descriptions and many times turn out far different than expected. I see many littermates grow up, and often they have very different personalities.

The book doesn't say much about Dachshunds chewing either. I think it is a common problem with younger dogs, some breeds being more likely to be a problem than others. It often gets much better with time. If you correct him enough times, he may quit. The S&S book does say they are tenacious.

A good obedience program might add to the effetiveness of your corrections. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/.

Dec 29, 2005, 10:09 AM
    Eating Couch
    Thank again for the information. I grew up with mostly poodles and every one had a different habit (some good, some not so good), but we loved every one. I will try the web site you suggested as soon as I get a spare minute:cool: .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dachshund [ 2 Answers ]

I just adopted a 5 year old miniature dachshund. I have noticed that she has not been eating very much. She goes over to her food dish, puts her nose down into it and pushes the food around. What does that mean?

Leather Jacket woes [ 3 Answers ]

During a recent mixer my wife and I were given HELLO tags that you put on to your clothing to introduce yourself. Well she was wearing a leather jacket and placed the tag on the leather. When she removed the tag there was residue that had imbedded itself in the leather. We have not yet taken...

Sofa Designer [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm looking for a sofa designer, I was surfing over the net and I have found one in Belgium, a bit to far for me This is the one in Belgium http://www.mrcreations.be/creaties.php, these are the sofas I really like, so is there someone who knows where I can get unique furniture please let...

Working with leather [ 1 Answers ]

I need to work with leather. How do I get leather moulded/shaped (such as over a semi-sphere)? Do I merely heat the leather to shape it, but won't that stretch the leather? Also how is leather painted/colored on (with names, logos, etc, on it). Also, does anyone know any manufacturer that does...

Dachshund won't eat [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 15 year old mini dashund that was recently diagnosed with a cancerous tumor in one lung. To limit her coughing she was put on codine. She has progressively lost her desire to eat. Other wise she seems OK. We've given her steak, liverworst, peanut butter,. Each time we think we find...

View more questions Search