Old Domestic Sewing Machine-1863?

Asked Aug 27, 2008, 03:02 PM 13 Answers
    Hi, we just moved and the woman who lived in this house had an old
    Sewing machine I bought off her because she could not take it
    With her. It says on it Domestic and when you lift the lid on the
    Part under the needle it is metal and says..
    Domestic
    S.M.CO.
    New York
    Patented
    May.16 1863
    nov.15 1864
    jan.31 1871
    apr.25 1871
    aug.21 1873
    apr.14 1874
    Reissued
    nov.3 1874
    May.16 1876
    I have also added some pictures so you all can see. Just wondering
    If it is really old and if I got a good deal. I love it and think it
    Is beautiful. I dusted it off and put it in my living room.
    I have more pictures also. thanks, Donna Richmond.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by dcrichmond; Aug 27, 2008 at 08:45 PM. Reason: more pictures
    tickle's Avatar
    tickle Posts: 21,346, Reputation: 2422

#2

Aug 27, 2008, 03:34 PM
    Yes, you got a real beauty ! Is it still in working order and will you use it ? It looks in good condition and if you want to sell it you should get some antique dealers in their to give you prices.
    dcrichmond's Avatar
    dcrichmond Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

#3

Aug 27, 2008, 08:36 PM
    Thank you. The only thing that is wrong is the belt part. I would love to use it, it also has all the parts and a bunch of old needles and a bunch of other really old stuff in the drawers. I am going to try to see if I can get a replacement but if not I love it the way it is. I would like to see how much it is worth. That is my next mission. I have been look around on the internet to see but haven't had a lot of time. I have more pics too if anyone would like to see them.
    Clough's Avatar
    Clough Posts: 26,681, Reputation: 1647

#4

Aug 28, 2008, 02:40 AM
    Yes! It's beautiful and a real work of art! It is very old. Whether you got a good deal or not would depend on what you paid for it. Would you mind sharing what you paid for it here?

There is some interesting information about the Domestic Sewing Machine Company on the following link.

The Domestic Sewing Machine Company

There are also some links to information on the following link of this site that might be helpful to you.

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/crafts/...ts-241655.html

Are there any other letters and/or numbers anywhere on the machine itself, like even underneath the machine, please?

Thanks!
    dcrichmond's Avatar
    dcrichmond Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

#5

Aug 28, 2008, 04:55 AM
    Thanks, the woman only wanted five dollars for it! The only numbers I could find are under where the patten dates are by the needle-1245181. I will look better later to see if I can find any more underneith. Thanks for the information and if you think of anything else feel free to stop by and answer!
    twinkiedooter's Avatar
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054

#6

Aug 28, 2008, 02:04 PM
    The pictures of your treadle machine brings back memories of the old treadle machine my mother had in our attic that I used to play with for hours on end sewing newspaper, old cloth, etc. when I was a little girl some 50+ years ago. That machine was very old then and it looks so much like yours, it was probably the same brand. It's amazing that your machine looks so great. That old lady must have taken good care of it. I wouldn't sell it, but hang onto it as long as you can as those treadle machines won't be coming back in a big hurry (unless the world comes to an end and there is no more electric current to run sewing machines) that is.
    0rphan's Avatar
    0rphan Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 237

#7

Aug 30, 2008, 02:24 PM
    Gosh that reminds me of an old singer sewing machine my Mum used to have... memories

It would be interesting to have it valued...
    jacoba51's Avatar
    jacoba51 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

#8

May 26, 2009, 04:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dcrichmond View Post
    thanks, the woman only wanted five dollars for it! the only numbers i could find are under where the patten dates are by the needle-1245181. i will look better later to see if i can find any more underneith. thanks for the information and if you think of anything else feel free to stop by and answer!

We also have a machine that looks exactly like yours, but not as good of condition, and was wondering if you ever got an estimate of what it is worth.
    andrewc24301's Avatar
    andrewc24301 Posts: 374, Reputation: 29

#9

Jun 3, 2009, 07:19 PM

What a fine piece of machinery. What ever you do, don't sell it.
    domestic's Avatar
    domestic Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

#10

Sep 5, 2009, 12:16 PM
    I have the same sewing machine. It was my mother's and she sewed clothes on it for me around 1944. In the 1950's my dad sewed all types of native american clothing on as a boy scout leader... including a full size teepee. The machine was a fixture in our home from 1938 until my dad's death in 2000. My wife requested that we keep it and it has been a conversation piece in our living room ever since. And a reminder of the wonderful life I had as a child in western NY state.
    The original belt is dry, stretched and slips, but the machine has all its parts and works.
    Thanks for the memories

Domestic, treadle sewing machine [ 2 Answers ]

I just lost a family heirloom in a fire, unfortunately it was being stored in another location that burned down and I had never had it appraised. Now I am trying to recover value information on it for insurance purposes. It was an upright "Domestic"brand treadle sewing machine from the mid 1800's,...

Domestic Sewing Machine parts [ 3 Answers ]

I have an old Domestic Sewing Machine and have lost the zipper foot. Any suggestions for how to locate one?

Domestic Sewing Machine No. 69 - Vintage 1919 [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Domestic "69" Rotary Family Sewing Machine vintage 1919. It was manufactured by the Domestic Sewing Machine Company, Buffalo, NY. It has several spare parts and a large needle box with an assortment of needles. It is mounted on a wood cabinet that has a swing-up top that then raises the...

Domestic sewing machine [ 1 Answers ]

I have a domestic sewing machine . The numbers on the needle bar is 1858 40 . This is a treadle sewing machine. I am not interested in selling it but would like to know the year it was made. If anyone could help that would be great!! Thank-you in advance.