Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    legal help Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2007, 03:31 PM
    Proper services of paper in civil case in America
    How do I get served legal papers in the US ?

Is the required service of complaint and summons the same in all US States?

If so, what is the proper procedure as far as initial attempt and second attempt if first is not confirmed?

If not, what is the proper procedure for a civil case filed in Florida.

Basically I think I have been served, but as I didn't sign anything and the papers where just left with a member of my family I'm really not sure.

Any help please this is urgent.
    I don't know what to do.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 30, 2007, 06:47 PM
    The "legal" service does vary from state to state. And even within the same state, legal service will vary as to what it is for, family court, civil law suit, foreclosure, can all be different.

But a process server, serves a paer, and signs a receipt that he served it, seldom do you ever "sign for it" the process server returns a form to the court that says he served the papers according to the state law.

So yes this could be considered legal service, if you are bing sued, you need an attorney anyway, hire one to review the service and see if there is any issues there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What was life like in America in the Civil War? [ 5 Answers ]

What was life like in the Civil War in America, like what kind of jobs did people have; What things did they do for entertainment? What were their clothes like?

Notice of Judgement/Transcript Civil Case [ 1 Answers ]

Recently a certified letter was delivered to my home to "Jack Smith, Jr.". Well, I am Jack Smith, III and my 18 year old son is Jack Smith (we changed his middle name). So when the mailman knocked on my door and asked for Jack Smith, Jr. my son figured it was for him and he signed for it and that...

What problems are there in taking a civil case to court? [ 3 Answers ]

What problems are there in taking a civil case to court? :confused:

Civil case on my credit report [ 6 Answers ]

Ok here is the deal, I am trying to by a house and the loan lady pulled my credit report and it is showing a unpaid judgement from back in June/06 that the other person never filed the paper work with the court. (I paid them the day of the court case). Ok now here is the interesting part. One...

Civil Case [ 7 Answers ]

My best friend was recently killed by a drunk habitual offender with a long criminal record, driving 60 miles an hour on 25 mile residential street. The DA has offered a plea, he will only be facing 75 months if accepted (nothing for all the heartache he has caused). Can the family file a civil...

View more questions Search