Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Desktops (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=427)
-   -   Help regarding my SD RAM! (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=7452)

• Jan 27, 2005, 02:58 PM
    szohaib
    Help regarding my SD RAM!
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN,
    Well guys! A little problem with my PC..
    Well, I just bought a 512 SDRAM and after connecting it to my MOTHERBOARD it detected as 256 MB.. :eek:
    Sick man! :(
    Some problem with the motherboard or compatibility.. WIll it resolve out if I update the BIOS?
    Kindly reply ASAP!
    Hope to see the reply sooon..
    Cheers :confused:
  • Jan 27, 2005, 04:00 PM
    psi42
    In the future, please post your questions in a new thread. :)

About your problem: Some boards are limited in the amount of RAM they can "see" in one stick. I'm not sure of the exact reason for this issue.

Upgrading the BIOS _may_ help.
  • Jan 27, 2005, 11:16 PM
    Wendy225
    More info
    Maybe someone could help, maybe myself, but I think more info is needed.

What is the brand and model of your motherboard, did you put the system together, or did you buy it complete and just upgrading to more memory, also is the memory in the number 1 slot,
    Just provide all the info you can, on your system, and I will see if I can help you, if you still need it.

:p
  • Jan 28, 2005, 07:26 AM
    ScottGem
    Before purchasing RAM you need to ensure compatibility with your motherboard. Your system documentation should indicate what RAM you need.

The possibilities are you got a bum RAM module or its incompatible with your motherboard.
  • Jan 28, 2005, 02:48 PM
    szohaib
    Well Thanks for replying.. And sorry for this thread thing. As I was not aware of it.. Sorry for that!

The information I found out using SYSTEM INFORMATION in the SYSTEM TOOLS panel is as follows:-

System Manufacturer:
    VIA Tech, Inc.
    System Model:
    VT82C692BX
    System Type:
    X86-based PC
    Processor:
    x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~864Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date:
    Award S/w Int, Inc. 6.00PG, 11/05/2000
    SMBIOS Version:

Allrite.. The other information is that I have a single stick of 128 MB SDRAM which came along with the system when I bought it AS A WHOLE.. I mean it's not just fetched up parts and built up. Its genuinely made by ROLTEK, USA. And came directly from US.
    Secondly, I recently bought an another 512 MB double sided SDRAM and inserted it into my second memory slot. But now it ended up showing 384MB of SDRAM only.. Any help with my case would be greatly helpful and be thankful to the one..
    Kindly reply ASAP!
    Cheers
    Zohaib
  • Jan 28, 2005, 04:10 PM
    psi42
    What happens if you remove the 128MB stick, and put in the 512MB stick? Does it display 256MB or 384MB?
  • Jan 28, 2005, 04:34 PM
    szohaib
    Respected Sir,
    It only shows 256MB at the time when I remove my 128MB slot.. Kindly reply ASAP
    Thanks
  • Jan 29, 2005, 07:12 AM
    player21
    Zohaib mere yaar. You said that when you put just the 256 mb ram in the slot, it shows that there is 256. Then just try switching them. Put the 128 in the second slot and the 256 in the first slot. The ram also comes in "DIMM" or "SIMM". Do you know which one your motherboard supports? Are you sure that you bought a sdram and not a ddr or rd? Or it could be that the 128 mb ram is a ddr or rd? It could be that you motherboard supports dimm and you bought a simm. Find that out. And one more thing, how old is your motherboard? I hope these suggestions help!!
  • Jan 30, 2005, 06:53 AM
    SESaskDFC
    Howdy:

It appears your motherboard supports a 66 or 100mHz bus speed and I am willing to bet you purchased pc133mHz ram.. It isn't going to work and most ram manufacturers are no longer making their ram chips backward compatible..

You need the proper ram for your system.. Suggest you take the new one back along with the original and have the store match the new to the old..

Murray
  • Jan 31, 2005, 07:15 AM
    fredg
    Ram
    Hi,
    I'm with Murray.
    Take it back to a local computer sales/repair store near you.
    They can match it up correctly, and get you going in much, much faster time that most can do it on their on.
    Best of luck,
    fredg
  • Jan 31, 2005, 02:45 PM
    szohaib
    szohaib
    Well thanks guys..
    Luckily I found the MOTHERBOARD Manual which came along with my pre-assembled PC from US..
    well, here the details are

PCB BOARD SIZE
    30.5 cm x 18.00 cm

PCB Layer
    4 Layers

Slot 1 Socket
    Support Intel® Pentium 2 CPU at 66 Mhz and 100 Mhz or Pentium 3 100 Mhz F.S.B (Chipset VT82C693) or Pentium 3 133 Mhz F.S.B (chipset VT82C693A)

Memory DIMM
    3 of 168-pin 3.3V DIMM

Expansion Slot
    2xISA, 4xPCI slots, 1xAGP slot and 1xAMR(allows MR Card only)

Chipset
    VIA VT82C693/693A

BIOS
    Flash EEPROM for BIOS
    Award full PNP BIOS

DIMM Memory Installation
    The main memory board has 3 DIMMS on board either DIMM1,2,3 which supports 8 MB, 16, 32, 64, 128 amd maximum memory for SDRAM is up to 384MB. Chipset only allows synchronous operation for DIMM and CPU. Therefore, to have a stable system, the system must use 100 Mhz "PC-100 SDRAM memory DIMM" (3.3V) for 100 Mhz Deschutes CPUs. For 66 Mhz CPUs Kalmath and Celeron, the user may use SDRAM..

That's it guys..
    And I admit that I bought a 133 Mhz SDRAM of 512 MB.. Now what shall I do... What shall I say to the shop keeper about? May I also know that I have three slots.. What TOTAL MEMORY OF SD IN ALL i.e. DIMM1 + DIMM2 + DIMM3 WILL EQUAL INTO? Like shall I buy two more 256 MB SDRAM of 100Mhz or will each of my DIMM slot will support only 128MB per slot?

Kindly reply ASAP!
    Cheers
    Zohaib
  • Jan 31, 2005, 04:07 PM
    SESaskDFC
    Quote:

Originally Posted by szohaib
    DIMM Memory Installation
    The main memory board has 3 DIMMS on board either DIMM1,2,3 which supports 8 MB, 16, 32, 64, 128 amd maximum memory for SDRAM is upto 384MB.

Each slot holds a maximum of 128megs to a total of 384.. Does NO GOOD to get anything more than 128meg chips..

Murray