Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    klovesj110603 Posts: 58, Reputation: 3

Jul 30, 2007, 09:18 PM
    What has happened to our youth?
    Every time I read a question from a young teen who is scared of being pregnant or that wants to have sex I feel really sad. I don't know how u all feel about it but I think this nation has really gone to he11. Sex should be shared by two people in love not two kids in heat. These kids are our future and all some of them want is things they are too young to understand. What do u all think about it?
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Jul 30, 2007, 09:27 PM
    I'm 15 and I want have sex. I think its because of a couple of reasons:
    -Status
    -Im a boy, enough said here, I'm trying to hold out till I'm married but its hard
    -We can't have it yet

A teacher once pointed a thing out to me, in which I have never noticed. The thing was that the people who smoke started when they were younger. You never see a 50 year old start smoking out of the blue. Kids just do it to be cool. The reason I'm saying this is because kids think having sex makes you cool. Im not sure if you are a male/female, but if you are male then you would no what is talked about in the locker room and such. I hope this isn't to confusing

Jul 30, 2007, 09:31 PM
    Well that is why I posted this question I want everyone to express how they feel about it.
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2007, 09:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by klovesj110603
    Everytime I read a question from a young teen who is scared of being preg or that wants to have sex I feel really sad. I dont know how u all feel about it but I think this nation has really gone to he11. Sex should be shared by two people in love not two kids in heat. These kids are our future and all some of them want is things they are too young to understand. What do u all think about it??
    You know what makes me mad? I don't think that all these kids would be going AS sex crazy if they were taught about it properly. Do you know how many teens I've talked to that don't even know the process of getting pregnant? I have talked to some that think masturbating will get you pregnant. How ridiculous is that?

And also, when they are taught, they are taught not to do it, period. They are not taught about safe sex, birth control, condoms, anything like that. If you tell a teen "dont do this", what are they going to do? They are going to run right out and do it. I was a teen not too long ago, I know how it works.

Jul 30, 2007, 09:36 PM
    I totally agree with you there.. I'm not to far out of my teens either but I was taught to love myself and I wish other teens had good role models to look up 2. I think school should teach more about this also. I mean it is something you can use the reast of your life.. right?
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2007, 09:57 PM
    When I was in school we started sex ed in 5th grade and had it every year until we graduated. Some kids say they don't get it at all. And they used to tell us "if you dont want to be a parent then stay abstinent", not "dont have sex or you'll get an STD and die" like they like to tell teens nowadays. They need to be taught more thoroughly, not just told don't do it.

And I agree. It is something you can use for the rest of your life. If you get the proper education early on, you will be smarter about sex for the rest of your life.
    rkim291968 Posts: 261, Reputation: 34

Jul 30, 2007, 09:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by klovesj110603
    Everytime I read a question from a young teen who is scared of being preg or that wants to have sex I feel really sad. I dont know how u all feel about it but I think this nation has really gone to he11. Sex should be shared by two people in love not two kids in heat. These kids are our future and all some of them want is things they are too young to understand. What do u all think about it??
    What do I think about it? It isn't too bad considering that teen pregnancy has been going down over the years according to a recent survey. Many teenagers can't control their hormones. Kids are getting physically mature faster due to change in diet. There is very little concept of chastity (or respect for one) in our society - kids often compete to lose virginity. And yet, teen pregancy is down. I see this as a sign of improvement.
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2007, 10:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rkim291968
    What do I think about it? It isn't too bad considering that teen pregnancy has been going down over the years according to a recent survey. Many teenagers can't control their hormones. Kids are getting physically mature faster due to change in diet. There is very little concept of chastity (or respect for one) in our society - kids often compete to lose virginity. And yet, teen pregancy is down. I see this as a sign of improvement.
    Where is teen pregnancy down? I haven't ever heard that its down. I see a pregnant teen almost every day where I live.

Jul 30, 2007, 10:05 PM
    I don't want to go off topic but diet changes how fast you grow mature? Never new that

Anyway I have no clue what chastity is but without masturbation I think many boys (Im not a girl so I have no clue how they think) would be able to live. I know I wouldn't... Masturbation is getting more allowable, unlike the old days when they thought you would turn into a werewolf or something...
    rkim291968 Posts: 261, Reputation: 34

Jul 30, 2007, 10:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nauticalstar420
    Where is teen pregnancy down? I havent ever heard that its down. I see a pregnant teen almost every day where I live.
    I spoke too soon. I checked my source again. Teen pregancy has been steady for years and is beginning to pick up again in 2007.
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2007, 10:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rkim291968
    I spoke too soon. I checked my source again. Teen pregancy has been steady for years and is beginning to pick up again in 2007.
    I have noticed it. Its beginning to get ridiculous.

On another note, where in CA are you from? I am from CA originally.
    sparky_018 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2007, 02:17 PM
    Well I am 18 and ma girlfriend is 17 I was 17 and her 16 we had been going out for 6 month before we had sex we lost our virginity to each other but we waited till we where both ready most of my mates where 16 17 when they lost it to peeps they relay love it might be diff other there
    Sparky
    cromptondot Posts: 94, Reputation: 11

Aug 5, 2007, 02:40 PM
    I think the kids should be taught at home,not in school. When I was in grade school there was no such thing as sex ed in school. I would hear whispers about sex as I got older,and the natural curiosity. I think when the parents take the time to explain things to their kids,being open and honest is the best way to go.After all we are not raising a bunch of dummies. Today's kids are smarter than they get credit for sometimes. Give them a chance. If given the right information,they would make the right decisions.
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2007, 05:03 PM
    The problem is that the parents expect the school to tell kids everything and schools expect that the parents will tel kids everything. Where I live the best way to get a good education is to a go to a Catholic school, so most of the kids there know nothing since sex ed is not taught. My cousin is pretty much the only girl in her group of friends who gets it. They all think those myths are true (you know can't get pregnant standing up, etc) it amazes me how ignorant they are. I am only 12 years older then these girls and my mom talked to me about birth control and what's healthy and what's not. My mom gave me Our Bodies, Ourselves and I learned a WHOLE lot.

It seems like parents want to avoid it all together or they only start to talk to them when they feel that their child is already sexually active. Its like anything else you have to get them when they are young.

Aug 5, 2007, 05:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GlindaofOz
    The problem is that the parents expect the school to tell kids everything and schools expect that the parents will tel kids everything. Where I live the best way to get a good education is to a go to a Catholic school, so most of the kids there know nothing since sex ed is not taught. My cousin is pretty much the only girl in her group of friends who gets it. They all think those myths are true (you know can't get pregnant standing up, etc) it amazes me how ignorant they are. I am only 12 years older then these girls and my mom talked to me about birth control and whats healthy and whats not. My mom gave me Our Bodies, Our Selves and I learned a WHOLE lot.

It seems like parents want to avoid it all together or they only start to talk to them when they feel that their child is already sexually active. Its like anything else you have to get them when they are young.
    I agree, my mom or dad never taught me anything about sex and I doubt they ever will. At age 15, its pretty much to late.
    jrb252000 Posts: 410, Reputation: 28
    -

Aug 5, 2007, 07:30 PM
    I agree the teaching of sex needs to start at home. But I do feel school needs to teach it too only because some parents are to embarrassed to talk to their kids.
    I think TV plays a lot in it as well. I remember watching the older shows from the '50s and the husband, wives slept in separte bed sometimes. In fact you could not say pregnant. I feel birth control should be more accessible for young teens. Regardless if you talk to them or not (some of us have been there) they will do it.
    I also think teen girls think sex will win the love of a guy.
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2007, 07:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jrb252000
    I also think teen girls think sex will win the love of a guy.
    Absolutely! My cousin is 17 and her girlfriends all think that the way to get a guy to like them is to sleep with him. They have no self esteem and no self worth they look to popular culture to get their guidelines of how to act. Its just appalling.
    jrb252000 Posts: 410, Reputation: 28
    -

Aug 5, 2007, 07:41 PM
    I also find it troubling when you watch a talk show and it seems they make the girl out to be the bad person. I mean yes she is at fault but she didn't get pregnant by herself.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2007, 08:18 PM
    Mixed feelings.

I know for a fact my grandfather lost his virginity as a young teen. Difference is that society, I guess meaning media and public opinion were different. There were no bra ads in the weekend paper. Sex was less talked about and seen in the everyday media. Let alone the internet.

Even when I was a kid, I remember whe madonna got a lot of flack for like a virgin, and then papa don't preach. How dare she show her belly button!! And talk about virginity.

Well... I think the youth of today are not substantially worse off than many of their forebearers. The biggest difference is the environment in which they live. Are they to blame for listening to music that degrades women or promotes promiscuity??

Last I saw there were few teen music moguls who were running the industry.

The question, if any, is are we, not they, worse PARENTS than out own. They live in the word we allow. no... we can't control every moment, but its just too easy to pass the buck here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Youth today! [ 6 Answers ]

Am I the only one today is a little taken back by the ignorance of the youth today when it deals with their own body, sexuality birth control and morality? What do you think?

What happened? [ 2 Answers ]

I met a great guy when I moved in my new town. He was a breath of fresh air. We immediately connected and everything was great. Well he has 2 children who live 2 hours away. He has always struggled about being so far away. Well a year and 9 months went on with him just visiting home to see the kids...

What happened? [ 4 Answers ]

What happened to Valinorsorrow?

Are women in charge of youth problem [ 4 Answers ]

"The position of women in society has changed markedly in the last twenty years. Many of the problems young people now experience, such as juvenule delinquency, arise from the fact that many married women now work and are not at home to care for their children." :throwball: What do you think...

View more questions Search