Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Paula Henderson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2007, 07:41 PM
    Interest rates
    If I put 50 dollars a week in a savings account, and I don't touch it, after 13 years with interest of 2.5% how much money will I have saved? Please explain how this works
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 21, 2007, 06:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula Henderson
    If I put 50 dollars a week in a savings account, and I don't touch it, after 13 years with interest of 2.5% how much money will I have saved? Please explain how this works
    The easiest way to think of it is that every year the bank will credit your account 2.5% of the value of the account at the start of the year. So the first year your investment grows to $50 x 1.025 = $51.25. The second year they add another 2.5%, but this time it's calculated on the $51.25 base that you started the year with. So after two years you have $51.25 x 1.025 = $52.53. And so on. After 13 years you have multiplied your original $50 by 1.025 thirteen times. The math formula is $50 x 1.025^13 = $68.93.

This assumes "simple" compounding once per year. In reality most banks actually add interest compounded more often, either monthly or daily, The math gets more complicated, because you have to figure out the equivalent monthly (or daily) interest rate and then calculate that rate applied over 13 years. If the bank does continuous componding, which is the best deal for you, you actually will end up with $69.20. Here's an explanation of the higher math that's involved:

Compound interest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Calculating interest rates [ 3 Answers ]

find the interest rate of the following combinations of present and future values: Present value years future values $400 11 $684 $183 4 $249 $300 7 $300

Calculating Interest Rates [ 1 Answers ]

Say I have a loan for $196,000.00 it is a 30 year fixed rate and my monthly payment is $1522.66. What is my interest rate? PS this is not for homework, I am just trying to figure out how you would calculate to find the answer. I don't need the answer just maybe an explanation on how to go about...

Calculate interest rates [ 1 Answers ]

find the interest rate of the following combinations: Present value years future values $400 11 $684 $183 4 $249 $300 7 $300

Yields, exchange rates and interest rates [ 1 Answers ]

When interest rates falls, then bond prices rise and yields fall. However, when the exchange rate falls, investors demand less bonds, price of bond falls and yields rise. So what happens in an environment of falling interest rates and depreciating exchange rate- the 2 are opposing consequences-...

Comparing interest rates [ 1 Answers ]

CaptianForest, how did you come up with 8.6 semiannually is better. Per the question: Semiannually 8.6; pv = 100; pmt = 0; FV = 100 with my calculation Annual 8.4; pv = 100; pmt = 0 ; FV = 100

View more questions Search