Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Elhodge Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2006, 09:58 PM
    Need Help with Finance Homework
    Hello Everyone.

I'm a newbie here and am taking Business Management and am in my last year but am stuck on some of the Principles of Finance and could use some help with not only the formula but also how to get the answer. I'm using a Texas Instrument BAII Plus financhial calculator. Here's the question.
    A corp. is considering purchasing a new machine with an initial outlay of $4,500 and expected cash flows in years 1-4 of $2,200 per year. The risk adjusted discount rate for the firm is 12% and the risk free rate is 5%. I need to compute the net present value of this project.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Peace,
    Elhodge
    CliffARobinson Posts: 1,416, Reputation: 101
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2012, 05:47 PM

Each cash inflow/outflow is discounted back to its present value (PV). Then they are summed. Therefore NPV is the sum of all terms,

t - the time of the cash flow
    I - the discount rate (the rate of return that could be earned on an investment in the financial markets with similar risk.); the opportunity cost of capital
    Rt - the net cash flow (the amount of cash, inflow minus outflow) at time t.

For educational purposes, R0 is commonly placed to the left of the sum to emphasize its role as (minus) the investment.
    Source: Wikipedia entry on Net Present Value

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Business Finance Homework Help [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Everyone. I'm a newbie here and am taking Business Management and am in my last year but am stuck on some of the Principles of Finance and could use some help with not only the formula but also how to get the answer. I'm using a Texas Instrument BAII Plus financhial calculator. Here's the...

Accounting homework,operating investing or finance long run [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone, First time using this site, I have a homework question in accounting, Which of the 3 types of activities (operating, investing or financing) is the best source of cash for a company in the long run?

View more questions Search