Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    investor99 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2009, 10:21 AM
    Declared dividends
    A company delcared a dividend with an ex-dividend date of 7/22/09 and will pay the dividend to shareholders of record on the close of business on 7/24/09. Do you have to own the stock through 7/24/09 or can you sell it on the ex-dividend date?
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2009, 01:10 AM

"... on the close of business on 7/24/09." Doesn't that kind of already answer the question?

Besides, why not keep it one extra day? (OK, three more days since that's a weekend.)
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 23, 2009, 12:13 PM

To get the dividend you must own the stock as of the close of business on the day before the ex-dividend date. So in your case you can sell on 7/22 (or later) and you will get the dividend. The 7/24 date is immaterial in this. For most companies the x-div date is typically a couple of weeks before the date they send out the checks.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2009, 03:35 PM

Ha - I totally mis-read that. I didn't even see two dates. Sheesh. :-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dividends declared [ 1 Answers ]

If a company has declared $1,125,000 in dividends how do you calculate the distribution? 100,000 shares of common stock outstanding 25,000 shares of prederred stock outstanding dividens on preferred $2.50 per share par value for common is $2.00 par value for preferred is $10.00 per share

Declared Dividends [ 1 Answers ]

If a company declared and paid a special year-end 10 cents per share on the 150,000 shares of stock outstanding. Issue check number 509. How would the journal entry go?

Declared dividends [ 1 Answers ]

How are declared dividends reported

Dividends declared [ 2 Answers ]

I want to calculate the amount of dividends declared and paid during the year by a company. What is the information needed (the formula)? Thanks

Dividends declared [ 0 Answers ]

If a company lists a debit to dividends declared on their trial balance as an expense , how would this effect stockholders equity at period end? I do not think it would not be an adjusting entry to remove from expenses, but a reclassification entry but I am unsure of what entry to make:confused:

View more questions Search