Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anticuchos Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2006, 03:48 PM
    OCD: Why do they avoid touching others?
    Why do people with obsessive-compulsive disorder avoid touching others? I don't see how this fits into the disorder.
    kp42484 Posts: 39, Reputation: 16

Feb 25, 2006, 04:43 PM
    Hi,
    There are various variations of OCD (I would know, as I have OCD and I am not bothered by touching people), and the types of OCD sufferers that don't want to touch others or things that belong to others tend to have the whole collection of germ-aversive symptoms such as repetitive hand-washing and obsessively cleaning the house. I forget the exact name of the category of OCD that these people fall into, but in general, they are germophobes and constantly feel "contaminated" either by other people or by themselves (urine, feces, etc.).

The trick is that they feel contaminated; they're worried that they'll catch something or die or some other irrational fear. OCD runs off irrational fears.

But, the point is not all OCD sufferers avoid touching others.

Hope this helps!
    saraispiel19 Posts: 670, Reputation: 115
    -

Jun 11, 2007, 10:21 AM
    Germs. People cαrry germs αnd if you just wαshed your hαnds you don't wαnt to touch someone with germs or you'll hαve to go bαck αnd wαsh your hαnds. αt leαst thαts why I don't like touching people.
    July2010 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2010, 12:00 AM
    I don't like touching others, or more specifically having others initiate the touch, especially if it is unexpected but that is because I need to feel even on my body. i.e. someone touches my left forearm, I have to touch my right forearm in a similar way and place. OCD exposures stimulate anxiety and regardless of the level, or the reason, it is uncomfortable.
    July2010 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2010, 12:00 AM
    I don't like touching others, or more specifically having others initiate the touch, especially if it is unexpected but that is because I need to feel even on my body. i.e. someone touches my left forearm, I have to touch my right forearm in a similar way and place. OCD exposures stimulate anxiety and regardless of the level, or the reason, it is uncomfortable.
    jelly129 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2010, 03:20 PM

I have OCD and I don't mind touching others at all. But it definitely depends on the individual. If this OCD tendency is coming between you and another person or is causing problems in a relationship etc, know that OCD can usually always improve with counseling and/or medication is involved.
    jelly129 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2010, 03:21 PM

I meant to say I don't mind physical contact with other people, whether it be instigating it, or another person

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Natural gas pipe in bsmt is touching gas pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a house and in the basement the single wall furnace flue is touching the dark iron natural gas pipe, just before it enters the brick chimney , the water heater also has single wall flue that runs through wood structure. The previous owner put coffee cans around the flue, he cut off...

Mortgage penalty - how to avoid [ 10 Answers ]

Guys Hi by the way, new to the forum. I have a question. We are currently with Wells Fargo and tied into the mortgage for 1 more year. With my wife being pregnant we need to move but WF want $5000 for us to break away early. IS there anyway of breaking this ? Are there any mortgage...

View more questions Search