Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    msrene39360 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2007, 02:44 PM
    Puppy coat
    Hello everyone my name is Rene I am from Shubuta, MS I have a 8 week old pitbull puppy that has so kind skin problem his skin is very very dry and his hair on his face is starting to come off I asked the vet about it and he just said to stop shampooing him for a while and I have done that but it's not getting any better I wanted to know do any of you have answer to what could be going on?? :)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2007, 02:57 PM
    Like your vet, I tend to see baths as the problem. My 8 month old Holly has never had a bath since I had her, eats Iams dry lamb and rice, and is brushed regularly. Her skin and coat are in fine shape. If you are feeding a decent chow and brushing her regularly, then if cutting out the baths doesn't clear up the problem in a few weeks, talk the vet again. You are going to be in for shots all too often.

For other information you may find helpful, see the sticky starting with ''What does a puppy need?'', https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802

Oh, I will ask to have this moved to the dog forum. We have Pit Bull owners there.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2007, 02:05 PM
    We have some friend that have 2 pitbulls and their coats are very dry and flaky.
    I don't know if there is a special food you could use for a puppy.
    Our dog, who is part american bulldog, has coat and skin issues and we use a food to enhance both.
    I would check with your vet.
    Jessyfay Posts: 164, Reputation: 4

Apr 6, 2007, 03:46 PM
    I just had a similar problem with my dog, he had extreme dandruff and flakey skin that his fur would come off. The vet gave me antibiotics because it is a infection on the skin that may be caused by a food allergy. I too bathed my dog almost everyday, but that was before he was house trained and he peed all over himself. I've noticed a big change in his coat and fur since I've stopped bathing him so much and that he's been taking the antibiotics. If your still concerned with his skin, even after what the vet said, I would ask for a second opinion.
    And for the record IAMS is not a good food to feed any pet.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2007, 04:41 PM
    Msrene, everyone's input has been very good here. Since Pits have such short coats, at this age they just need a light brushing with a soft brush. Bathing them frequently this time of year is not good. The air is dry enough and the baths tend to dry out the skin more. You should also be aware that Pits do have a tendency to have skin allergies. It can be food related, it can be grass related, it can be pretty much anything. Since your puppy is only 8 weeks old, I strongly suspect the baths irritated his sensitive baby skin. I also suspect that you have only just stopped the baths. So, give it another week or two. If during the next week, it appears to be getting worse, please call your vet and speak with him about it. He may suggest a change in diet or a supplement. If it doesn't get worse and just appears the same after two weeks, again, call your vet.

What kind of puppy chow are you feeding him? Did the vet tell you that the food you are feeding is right for your puppy? Did he talk to you about wet vs dry food? Please let me know when you have a chance. One of us will get back to you as soon as we can.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Navy men's sports coat w/what color pants? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a friend who seems to always wear the wrong color sports coat with the wrong color pants. What is the general rule of thumb?

When can I get another puppy after my puppy died of parvo? [ 19 Answers ]

My husband and I recently bought a puppy. 5 days later she was very sick and after taking her to the vet hospital we found out she had parvo. We did everything possible to help her get better but after 5 days of 24 hour treatment we had to put her to sleep. We've now learned that she contacted the...

Greasy coat? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a schnauzer/terrier cross. and she's about 4 years old. latley her fur has been overly greasy. my parents and i have usually just let it be seeing is how it wasn't very bad. but latley. as i said earlier, her coat is almost too greasy to touch. we give her top of the line mountian dog food....

Black sports coat... what shoes? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Christmas party to go to tomorrow... I am wearing a black sports coat and kaki slacks with a white shirt. What color shoes/belt should I wear? Would a blue shirt look better? What would go with the black sports coat. The coat and pants are the only constants. The shirt/shoes/belt are...

Are Yorkies (tan)blonde coat? [ 1 Answers ]

I am about to by a Yorkie. I was wondering if it is normal that they're coat is tan colored instead of black and tan? Her mother is tan and her father is black and tan. What are my chance that she is mixed? Thanks chris??

View more questions Search