What happens when someone passes away without a Will?

Asked Oct 21, 2011, 01:08 PM 4 Answers
    My mother in Texas passed away without a Will. There are Houses and property, including money under her name. I am the only child and my step-father was married for 25 years to my mom.

What am I entitled to?

Last edited by CliffARobinson; Oct 21, 2011 at 01:29 PM. Reason: spelling, grammar and lots of clarity
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 61,868, Reputation: 5752
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

#2

Oct 21, 2011, 01:21 PM

If your mom and step father were married at the time of her passing, then he gets all 1/2 the community property and 1/3 of non community property. You get the rest.

Intestate Succession -- Texas
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 75,727, Reputation: 7217

#3

Oct 21, 2011, 01:23 PM

Is her husbands name on the house, or property or money
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar

#4

Oct 21, 2011, 01:37 PM

Why did you report my post as bad ?

We need more info, I answered to the best of our ability with what little info you gave us.

If you want to add more info, which you need to add lots of more info, for any type of answer, you answer your own thread. By reporting my thread, you told the moderators that I posted something offensive or wrong
    AK lawyer's Avatar
    AK lawyer Posts: 11,332, Reputation: 881

#5

Oct 21, 2011, 03:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post

Intestate Succession -- Texas
    Often, depending on how the property was titled, it's not automatic.

Someone may also need to apply to the probate court to be appointed personal representative.

What happens to a judgment against you if the other party passes away [ 1 Answers ]

I have a judgment against me from a family member who is close to passing away.what happens to the judgment when this happens?

Buying house from grandma before she passes [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I have considered approaching my grandma and inquiring about purchasing her house. We would like to have an arrangement in order before she passes so the in-laws do not give us a hard time, but we're not even sure if this is legal. We currently own a house, and she would continue...

If/When the stimulus plan passes. [ 8 Answers ]

Will you save your rebate or spend it, if you spend it, what do you plan to spend it on?