How old does a child have to be to decide who they live with
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 30, 2012, 11:42 PM
    Depends on your location
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 31, 2012, 03:39 AM
    ANY question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.

As far as I'm aware, nowhere does a CHILD get to make the decision. In all the US States that decision is made by a court. Until someone has reached majority (age 18 in most of the US), they cannot make the decision. In some states, the older a child is, the more weight a judge is required to give their preference.

In any case, if the child is under 18, then the non custodial parent has to go to court to request a modification of the custody order. If they are over 18 they can live wherever they want.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the age a child can decide which parent to live with [ 8 Answers ]

Hi my daughter is 14 and doesn't like my rules, her father told her there would be no rules at his house if she went to live with him, does anyone know the rules in NH, can she just decide or does he have to fight me on this?

Age a child can decide which parent to live with [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I are divorcing , my ten year old son refuses to see me help

When can a child decide where to live [ 1 Answers ]

My son had lived with me until he was 10 then he decided to live with his dad in in another state. The dad has not let my son return to my house. I have had to go out their and see him. There is no custoy agreement set right now just a preexisting one that worked when he was living here. Upon...

Can a child decide where to live just because? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 15 yr. and 13 yr. old boys. Father has told them they can go to court and live with him full time when older son turns 16. We currantly share 50/50 custody. They sleep on a couch at dad's and do not have their own room. They live in a 2 bedroom condo with 7 people. My son's have their...

Age a child can decide where to live [ 25 Answers ]

Does anyone know at what age a child has a say to whom they live with. I was divorced in Massachusettes.

View more questions Search