Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    d4denning Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2011, 11:47 AM
    Does the income of the parent with sole custody affect child support percentages?
    I have sole custody of my 3 kids and was awarded a small amount ten years ago. My ex is behind on that obligation and has had a good paying job for the last four years. I have decided to take him back to court for unpaid support and an increase in current support, one of the children has turned twenty so it is just for the two younger ones. Does my income determine the amount he will have to pay me, or is it cut and dry 25% for the two children?
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2011, 12:19 PM
    Each state has guidelines for how support is calculated. In Virginia (my state) for instance, income of both parents is totaled, a percentage of that is determined be the total amount of support for the child monthly, and that amount is split between the parents based on the percentage of the total income that was theirs. The non-custodial parent pays that amount in child support. Other items like existing support orders, insurance, and childcare are also considered. You should be able to look on line and find a child support calculator for your state, that will give you a rough idea of what your expectations should be.
    CliffARobinson Posts: 1,416, Reputation: 101
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2011, 12:51 PM
    A 50 state list of Child Support Calculators.

Click on your state, enter the information, and it gives you your answer.

Good Luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can A Father with disability with sole custody receive child support? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a disabled father that receives disability and have sole custody of my son. I get a PA (Pennsylvania) ssd check from the state from him as well. I am curious if I can get child support from the mother who has not paid a dime in over a year. She use to receive the ssi for him from me when she...

Additional Child Support to the Parent with Sole Legal Custody [ 2 Answers ]

Based on the settlement agreement, each party agrees to pay equal share of private school tuition fees and extracurricular activity expenses. Does the parent with the sole legal custody has the full authority to decide on what school and activities are chosen without consulting the other parent?

Sole custody child support [ 4 Answers ]

I'm in the same situation as Phoenixfire with being a divorced mother applying for a passport for my 8year son. I'm from NJ. My ex lives in Guyana and we have not been in contact with each other since 2007. I now have to apply for sole child custudy and submit it the National Passport Center with...

Sole custody and child support [ 6 Answers ]

The father of my 2 youngest children currently only sees them 4 days a month... they seem to impose on his lifestyle. He is always trying to get me to pick them up early or drop them off later (which I willing do because I miss them dearly). We currently have no court order in place I was trying to...

Does having sole custody grant me more child support? [ 3 Answers ]

If you have sole custody you will not be granted the amount the children deserve it would be based on the cost of living between both households. It also would be based on the income of both parties and expenses.

View more questions Search