Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mae1010 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2006, 12:47 PM
    Signing over parental rights
    I would like to know how this would work.
    I am pregnant, and the father has a good job, stable, no drugs or alco problems, but he is not sure he wants to have a child. In his eyes it's all or nothing, either he stays and is involved 100% or he signs over his rights. So my question is, can he just do that? I mean if it were that easy than anyone could choose to not be involved and the mom is screwed.
    So if someone knows how that works and what we would have to go through, than please let me know.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 22, 2006, 12:54 PM
    What is wrong with him being 100% involved? Maybe I am missing something?

If he signs over his rights, then he is still responsible for child support. Signing over rights is only signing over any input he would have in making decisions regarding the child.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2006, 09:28 PM
    He can't just "sign over his rights", unless someone else wants to adopt the child. Until that happens, the rights and responsibilities of paternity are his. He can insist on a DNA test to prove he is the father. If the test turns out positive then he pays child support, has visitation rights and can contest you for full or joint custody.
    taylorbm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2007, 10:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mae1010
    I would like to know how this would work.
    I am pregnant, and the father has a good job, stable, no drugs or alco problems, but he is not sure he wants to have a child. In his eyes it's all or nothing, either he stays and is involved 100% or he signs over his rights. So my question is, can he just do that? I mean if it were that easy than anyone could choose to not be involved and the mom is screwed.
    So if someone knows how that works and what we would have to go through, than please let me know.
    No way can he do this without you consenting to it... he is responsible for this child... dont let him tell you any differnet
    arhouston Posts: 19, Reputation: 0

Jul 16, 2007, 08:50 AM
    Its better to let him go, don't force a man to stay in your child's life if that's not what he wants to do, its for your child's own good!!
    That's a pretty emotional subject for me but I'm speaking from experience, my son's bio. Dad refuses to particpate in his life since I've been in a relationship he claims he wants to see him now I give him what he wants but he still won't spend time with him we've been to court A lot my son is going on 3 and he doesn't even know his bio. Dad my hubby who was there as a father since he was 3months old but has been around since birth is who my son knows as daddy my husband is and always has been DADDY.
    Men play games and the only one to suffer are the kids remember that
    He can't just sign over his rights without it being in the best interest for the child but if both of you want him to terminate his rights I'm sure it can be done

Go online and look up voluntary terminate parental right

Did the father say why he doesn't want to be there for his child? What the hell does all or nothing mean?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

How do I relinquish my parental rights as a father. My ex-wife has full custody and will not allow me near her or my child.

Signing over parental rights [ 8 Answers ]

OK well My Boyfriend has a daughter with this women, he pays support but she will not allow him to see his daughter she leaves him nasty messages saying she's better off without him. Well this women called him and asked him if he would sign over his rights to her husband because she wants to move...

Parental Rights [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Richmond Va and have a 12 year old daughter. At this time my ex-husband has full custody of her . He called and informed me that she wanted to live with me full time which I already knew but he said the only way he would allow that to happen is if I got the paperwork drawn up for him to...

Parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

Here's my problem. Im 36 weeks pregnant and the father of the baby doesn't want anything to do with the baby. He wanted me to get an abortion and has said a bunch of stuff like he would pay support but he doesn't want to see or have anything to do with the baby. Then he said later that he wasn't...

Signing over rights [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriend signed over his rights last December and his ex's new husband adopted the little girl. He still had to pay child support, which the state of AZ took out of his paychecks, all the way up until a few months ago. His work finally received letters stating that the child support was...

View more questions Search