Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rohr61 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2010, 02:44 PM
    Can I get custody of son if father leaves state and son stays here
    My ex has residential custody of my 8 yeair old son. He is leaving to Texas in a few days. Ex put in a relocation and I am doing a objection. My ex is leaving my son here while he goes ahead and moves to see what the court decides. When ex leaves can I go to the courts and files a temp custody ?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 27, 2010, 02:47 PM

You certainly can file. I would think you stand a good chance.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2010, 02:48 PM

Not if there is already an action pending - have you actually filed an objection? You ex appears to be following the law - he is leaving your son here while he physically moves. That makes it sound like the move is necessary.

You don't need to file for temporary custody - you will HAVE temporary physical custody. Do you want temporary legal custody? I don't see the need for that relief.

Your Attorney can also petition the Court for an expedited decision.

Jun 27, 2010, 02:49 PM
    My ex is leaving to Texas and leaving son here with me, he has residential custody of son. When ex leaves can I get temp custody of son

Jun 27, 2010, 02:52 PM

If the ex is leaving the child with you then you will have, be default temporary custody. What is it you actually want?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 27, 2010, 02:53 PM

You can file, was there reasons he had custody to start with ? If there were problems, those will still be there.

Also if he can find a way to offer to the court a way for you to still be part of the child's life it is hard to tell.

Also how much were you part of the child's life in the past months and years? If you were visiting every week then your case is stronger than if you seldon saw the chlid
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2010, 02:53 PM

You can apply for temporary custody IF the court will accept that application while the original request to move is pending. You will have temporary physical custody by virtue of your son being "left" with you.

My advice above remains the same.

Jun 27, 2010, 02:54 PM

No I have no put in a objection yet. If my ex leaves son here for the court to decide does it look like it will more in my favor?

Jun 27, 2010, 02:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    You can file, was there reasons he had custody to start with ? if there were problems, those will still be there.

Also if he can find a way to offer to the court a way for you to still be part of the childs life it is hard to tell.

Also how much were you part of the childs life in the past months and years ?? if you were visiting every week then your case is stronger than if you seldon saw the chlid
    No, there we were never any problems in the first place. He can not hold any thing against me. Also I was getting my son every Friday and Saturday and sundays and would drop him off at school mondays and he would return to his dads after school I also had him the first and 3rd tuesdays of each month.

Jun 27, 2010, 03:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    If the ex is leaving the child with you then you will have, be default temporary custody. What is it you actually want?
    I want to get full custody

Jun 27, 2010, 03:18 PM
    Thank you, very much for your time.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 27, 2010, 03:21 PM

He will most likely still get and keep joint legal custody, you would or may get physical custody and he gets visits including most likely a longer period around some holidays and summers ( school times) But they may still allow a joint custody agreement.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 27, 2010, 03:21 PM

I think the courts would reject your request and his excuse can be he left him with you for vacation. If there is pending action and no threat your not really allowed to file anything more till it is settled.

Jun 27, 2010, 03:41 PM
    So, I will need to wait till I go back to court on the objection and see what the judge decides ? And if my son will be able to leave the state or stay here with me ?

Jun 27, 2010, 04:01 PM

First you have been asking about temporary custody. The custodial parent is giving you such custody by leaving the child with you while he goes ahead and moves. You already have joint legal custody according to what you have told us.

You can try to formalize the temp custody with a court order pending resolution on the request to move. But you WILL have to wait until the hearing on the request to move before anything can be finalized. If your ex moves prior to getting permission, I believe the court will transfer primary custody to you and require a modified visitation for him.

If he waits until the court rules before moving, then, while he may not get the right to move with the child, he will retain primary custody unless he decides to move.

Jun 27, 2010, 04:19 PM

Thank you, and yes my ex is leaving, he says on the 7th of July and I have not even had time to put in my objection yet, so he will be gone before this goes in front of the judge, which by what I am getting is, this might be a good thing, if he does leave before court. I should get the custody I am seeking.

Jun 27, 2010, 04:24 PM

You need to file an objection immediately.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Jun 27, 2010, 04:25 PM

Quote Originally Posted by rohr61 View Post
    I want to get full custody
    I guess you want to be the primary custodian.
    Quote Originally Posted by rohr61 View Post
    and if my son will be able to leave the state or stay here with me?
    Generally anyone has a presumptive right to move with the child. However, that right can be overcome if the other parent objects and presents evidence that the move would harm the child's interests.
    The judge must look at reasons.
    # The wishes of the parent or the parents as to custody,
    # The wishes of the child as to the custodian,
    # The interaction and relationship between the child and the child's parent or parent's the child's siblings and any other person who may significantly affect the child's best interest.
    # The child's adjustment to home, school and community,
    # The mental and physical health of all individuals involved,
    # Which parent is more likely to allow the child frequent and meaningful continuing contact with the other parent,
    # Whether one parent, both parents or neither parent has provided primary care for the child,
    # The nature and extent of coercion or duress used by a parent in obtaining an agreement re custody,
    # Whether the relocation is being made or opposed in good faith and not to interfere with or to frustrate the relationship between the child and the other parent or the other parent's right of access to the child.
    # The prospective advantage of the move for improving the general quality of life for the custodial parent or for the child,
    # The likelihood that the parent with whom the child will reside after the relocation will comply with parenting time orders,
    # Whether the relocation will allow a realistic opportunity for parenting time with each parent.
    # The extent to which moving or not moving will affect the emotional, physical or developmental needs of the child.
    # The motives of the parents and the validity of the reasons given for moving or opposing the move including the extent to which either parent may intend to gain a financial advantage regarding continuing child support obligations.
    # The potential effect of relocation on the child's stability.
    Family Law Expert

Jun 27, 2010, 04:31 PM

For example-
    CRS 14-10-129 mandates that the court consider
    (I) The reasons the party wishes to relocate with the child;

(II) The reasons the opposing party is objecting to the proposed relocation;

(III) The history and quality of each party's relationship with the child since any previous parenting time order;

(IV) The educational opportunities for the child at the existing location and at the proposed new location;

(V) The presence or absence of extended family at the existing location and at the proposed new location;

(VI) Any advantages of the child remaining with the primary caregiver;

(VII) The anticipated impact of the move on the child;

(VIII) Whether the court will be able to fashion a reasonable parenting time schedule if the change requested is permitted; and

(IX) Any other relevant factors bearing on the best interests of the child.
    Family Law Expert

Jun 27, 2010, 04:42 PM

In some states it is presumed that the custodial parent has to prove relocation is in the child's interest.
    In others-it is presumed that the non-custodial parent has to prove relocation is against child's interest.
    Child Custody Laws vary by state

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Father want's custody of his son [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 1/2 year old son with my wife. I also have a step daughter who is 10 years old. I am in the process of leaving my wife and I am want custody of my son. I would also want custody of my stepdaughter, however her father is active in her life. Besides the fact that I want custody of my son...

Father has custody, son being neglected trying to get back [ 2 Answers ]

My ex husband has primary residencey of my 5 year old due to fact I was in rehabilitation and in a bad way two years ago-- I have since put myself back in business school, in a stable relationship, and have a nice home and also has his two older sister her at my home wanting him here. He on the...

Never married father wants custody of infant son [ 9 Answers ]

My son is 24 and never married. Because of the unsteadiness of his job (house repairs) he still lives at home. I don't mind I have a large house with 3 bedrooms that would not be in use. He just recently found out a girl he wasn't with long had a child and after DNA testing was determined the...

How do I transfer custody of my son from me (mom) to his father. [ 2 Answers ]

I am a single mother of a functional autistic child who is 14 yrs old, I have tried every thing I can think of and prayed, alog with it he is living in a very positive environment,woth me and his younger brother and sister,he has been lying,trying to fight me and stealing my money,I don't know if...

View more questions Search