Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ajuarez Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2010, 03:15 PM
    Can I get legal custody of my granddaughter after her mother has abandoned?
    My daughter in law left me her daughter ( my grandaughter 2 years old at the time and now ten years later has decided she wants to take her back. I never filed for legal custody as she said she did not want her.
    I want to file for legal custody of my granddaughter. How easy/hard will the case be in my favor?
    The mother literally abandoned her.
    What do you suggest I do?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 25, 2010, 03:19 PM

What state is this in? Also you may only be granted visitation rights because you never filed anything before. How did you take care of her for 10 years and not even have guardianship? Legally you weren't able to sign her up for anything like school or even discuss her case with a doctor.

Jun 26, 2010, 08:25 AM

I am in Texas. Her dad (my son) lived with me off and on until two years ago, he went with me to register her for school and the situation was explained to the school.
    My son was not much help- as far a taking care of her either.
    As far as medical, I always paid for medical expenses out of pocket as I was not able to put her on my insurance due to me not having legal guardianship.

Jun 26, 2010, 08:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    What state is this in? Also you may only be granted visitation rights because you never filed anything before. How did you take care of her for 10 years and not even have gaurdianship? Legally you werent able to sign her up for anything like school or even discuss her case with a doctor.
    I am in Texas. Her dad (my son) lived with me off and on until two years ago, he went with me to register her for school and the situation was explained to the school.

My son was not much help- as far a taking care of her either.
    As far as medical, I always paid for medical expenses out of pocket as I was not able to put her on my insurance due to me not having legal guardianship.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My daughter abandoned her children, and my mother want full custody? [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter hasn't seen her two children or even called in over 6months, my mother and sister have had the two (1 and 3 yr old.) for 6 + months with no contact from the mother. Can my mother and sister file for custody of the baby's,

Do I need legal custody of my granddaughter? [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter has given my granddaughter to me again. I usually have her for at least 6 months every year. She will be 14 this year. I would like to get legal custody of her so I can get her on my insurance as she hasn't been to a doctor in years. I usually take her to a dentist every time I have...

Mother abandoned children [ 2 Answers ]

My wife went to Texas to see her dying mother. She says she has met someone Else and isn't coming back. She has been gone since the first week in may, 2008. I have taken care of our 3 children and a full time job since she has been gone. Now, this week she came to Nebraska, not telling anyone...

Trying to get custody of Granddaughter? [ 14 Answers ]

My daughter is 23 and she has a 6 year old daughter. Over the last several years she comes and goes in the house. She is never at home to put her daughter to bed, or get her up for school. She has maybe given her a bath in the last 5 years maybe 3 times if that. Most of the time she is off with...

Child abandoned by mother [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: :mad: A great friend of mine really needs some help... him and his girlfriend have a four year old son. They r going through a break up and she has made several comments about leaving and not taking her son with her! How long does she have to be out of contact before the father can...

View more questions Search