Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kiko2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2010, 01:37 AM
    I have 15 years with my wife,but not legally married,can she kick me out of the house
    I been with my wife for 15 years but not legally married,and we bought the first house in 2006 but I never put my name on papers and most of the money was me who put it and now she is kicking me out after we got the 2nd house.can she kick me out?
    mawtom Posts: 41, Reputation: 9

Jun 15, 2010, 02:31 AM

Ask a lawyer... SOON
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2010, 05:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mawtom View Post
    Ask a lawyer... SOON

The legal boards are not discussion boards (nor are the medical boards). We take pride in our answers. Many of us are educated in the law, experienced, have good research skills.

I realize you are trying to help but this is not legal advice - just about every question on the legal boards can be answered with "ask an Attorney."

To OP - what State? You could be common law. No, she cannot simply "kick you out" of your residence. You would have to be evicted from HER house (if it is, indeed, in her name) according to the laws of your State.

If the deed is in her name she is, indeed, the owner and you have no interest in the property, despite having paid for the house.

If you are common law it is a question of property division when you divorce - IF you are common law.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 15, 2010, 05:50 AM

Since common law marriage has been removed from statute in most US states, there is a good chance that she can evict you. Without the protection of a marriage license you may have no legal interest in the property. That means she, as the registered owner, can file for an eviction order according the laws in your area. But she can't just summarily kick you out. You have established the property as your residence which means she has to treat you as a tenant and evict.

I would suggest consulting an attorney immediately to see what rights you have. If any, with respect to the property..
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2010, 06:03 AM

I should have listed the States which recognize common law - the info is: "(Alabama, Colorado, Kansas, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Iowa, Montana, Oklahoma, and Texas) and the District of Columbia recognize common-law marriages contracted within their borders. In addition, five states have "grandfathered" common law marriage (Georgia, Idaho, Ohio, Oklahoma and Pennsylvania) allowing those established before a certain date to be recognized. New Hampshire recognizes common law marriage only for purposes of probate, and Utah recognizes common law marriages only if they have been validated by a court or administrative order."

Common Law Marriage

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I legally kick my 33 year old son out of my house? [ 4 Answers ]

My son and his wife moved in on the premise that they would pay rent and half of the bills to help me through hard times. They have lived with me since September of 2007 and have only eaten me out of house and home and ran my electric bill up. They have probably only paid three bills in the 11...

Wife has permanent green card ,and have been married for 5 years [ 4 Answers ]

My wife and I have been married for 5 years and she just got her mermanant green card 10 year card , and I just found out that she has fraude me from the start, we have only been intiment 3 times in the whole 5 years because she says it hurts, this was within the first 3 weeks that we were married...

I'm 26 and been married 3 years and go soft while I'm inside my wife [ 12 Answers ]

HI I'm 26 and I think I have a problem staying hard me and my wife make love about 3 maybe 4 times a week and 50% I go limp inside her and I don't know why maybe you guys can help me!!

How do kick my wife out of the house? [ 2 Answers ]

My wife wants to leave the marriage but she will not leave the house. I am not the one who wanted the separation, she is. However, for spite, she will not leave the house. How can I get her out? She has been physically and verbally abusive over the past 3 yrs. She suffers from MS and while...

View more questions Search