Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sally1954 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2010, 05:30 AM
    Can I sue for intentional infliction of emotional distress
    I am in Ohio. My husband has emotional feelings for another woman. Can I sue her for intentional infliction of emotional distress?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 26, 2010, 07:25 AM

As I understand it, sueing for this type of damage works this way: To be successful in a lawsuit, the distress must result from a physical injury or be so egregious that it results in physical symptoms. So you see how difficult your case would be unless she met you on the street and caused you physical damage on top of luring your husband.

How do you know if the feelings are reciprocated ? It could be one sided, entirely on your husband's side.

Secondly, do you really have the money at hand to hire a lawyer and take a chance; and what amount would you sue for ? Thirdly, how will this effect your relationship with you husband if you still want one that is?

Do you consider your marriage over because of this ?

Ms tick
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2010, 08:31 AM

What kind of damages do you have? You can always sue for anything if you have the money and time... you just won't win.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2010, 08:18 AM

Are you talking about alienation of affection? If so, lawsuits are accepted in Hawaii, Illinois, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, South Dakota, and Utah - not in Ohio.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2010, 08:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sally1954 View Post
    I am in Ohio. My husband has emotional feelings for another woman. Can I sue her for intentional infliction of emotional distress?
    Hello sally:

Nahhh. If you want to sue somebody for violating a legal agreement they had with you, it would be hubby. You sue him for divorce, and you take his house.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can we sue for mental/emotional distress? [ 2 Answers ]

My fiancé is almost finished with probation, but his ex-wife is trying to get it extended. She has been calling his PO making complaints of child abuse and other harassing calls to try and get his probation extended or him thrown in jail. She has succeeded three times in getting him thrown in jail....

Any criminal items, intentional infliction of emotional distress, or too minor? [ 2 Answers ]

My ex-girlfriend from a failed romantic relationship has undertaken a series of actions that range from petty to unfair to just plain mean. We are not married, but are co-owners of a house, where she lives and where I expect to return this weekend. As she stated to me, she is doing all she can to...

View more questions Search