Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    soulshine Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2009, 08:46 PM
    Can creditor get garnishment against SSI SSD and Child Support in GA
    I just checked my bank balance and found that I am overdrawn because of a "forced debit" on my account for over $700. I do have debts that are unpaid so I assume it must be one of these that have been taken from my account.I am disabled and receive SSD and SSI. I receive child support for my 2 children which is direct deposited into my checking account. The only name on the account is my own name. Can creditors legally just take the money from my account without any advanced notice to me? I have not been served any papers or heard from any of the creditor that I was being sued or anything. Please help, J
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2009, 09:43 PM

They can not just take money out of your acct unless it is government or student loans.
    You need to inform your bank that the money is social security and they are not allowed to garnish soc. sec.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support tax refund garnishment [ 3 Answers ]

If I am owed back support, and they have taken the other parent's tax refund, how long will it take for me to get it?

Child Support Garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

What is the correct entry to record child support garnishments?

Child support garnishment laws [ 2 Answers ]

If I own my own business can my chid support obligation be garnished? Also if I've never been more than 15 days late 1 time?

Child Support Garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend was behind on his child support because he hasn't found a job yet... we have a joint checking account with each other, they garnished the checking account along with the savings and left us with nothing. Can the state take my money also, or can I get my money back?

SSDI Child Support Garnishment [ 3 Answers ]

If I received 970 a month from ssdi and my child support order is for 940.00 a month how much of my ssdi can be garnished for this in Calif. Thank You Robin

View more questions Search