Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    singlemom78 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2009, 08:49 AM
    Is it time to part ways?
    My boyfriend and I have been dating for four months. He has two kids and I have one. We see each other every weekend but I want to see him more. He doesn't ever seem to have time to see my child and I during the week and blames it on having to do things with his kids, (i.e. dinner, bedtime, etc.) My thoughts are he could work my child and I into the mix of dinner. We've talked about moving in together in the future but I can never see that happening without seeing each other more often first. My question is, does it seem as though we just need to go our separate ways?
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2009, 09:20 AM

Have you suggested having him and his kids over for dinner? Maybe 1 or 2 nights a week and see what he says?
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2009, 11:24 AM

Are you only concerned about him not seeing your child? Is the child his?

Also, have you talked about spending more time together?
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Jun 2, 2009, 12:51 PM

Since you both have children, wouldn't it make sense for your kids to play together as well?

I think the problem is that he might not be looking for something serious. It's only been 4 months, give it more time.

You can take a few steps forward by suggesting to have dinner all together one or twice a week on the weekday.
    88sunflower Posts: 1,207, Reputation: 462
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2009, 12:54 PM
    Well maybe he is in a routine with his children and he may feel chaos at the thought of breaking it. Maybe you can suggest going over and doing a rented movie and delivery. Do something fun for the kids. At least it sounds like his children come first. Which is great. Suggest something around the kids and see what he says.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 2, 2009, 08:28 PM

Being a single mom, I would think you would understand what being a single dad is about. Have you invited him over, or made plans to cook him, and his kids dinner at his house?
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2009, 10:39 PM
    Four months is such a short time.

Perhaps apart form not wanting to break the routine he has with his kids he may also be feeling a bit of pressure from you?

I'd make everything lighter and more fun if I were you - put your 'expectations of moving in together' on the back burner for the time being. It's too soon and it's obviously too much for him.

Get to know him and his children before you start making any serious plans, and take up some of the other suggestions from posters.
    88sunflower Posts: 1,207, Reputation: 462
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2009, 05:59 AM
    Another thing that he could maybe be thinking is not bringing you to closely to his kids until he is sure he wants long term with you. This isn't a bad thing. If that were the case its better also for you. Split families are hard enough without the parent dating and bringing people in to the relationship and then leaving for another and so on. Its not much stability for the kids.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Student dependent visa UK, Full time or Part time work? [ 26 Answers ]

I have student visa of UK and I study in university. My wife recently came in London. She has student dependent visa. She doesn't study. Can she work full time? How many hours she can work? Thank you

Part time or full time New York resident taxes [ 4 Answers ]

My husband in the was USARMY stationed at West Point, New York up until the end of August of 2008 therefore he was not a New York resident. We moved to Highland Falls, New York September 15,2008. Do we file a part time New York resident form? He was only a New York resident from September 15, 2008...

Live in MA, Student in NY: Full-Time/Part-time/Non-Resident? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi- I am a 21 year old student attending a college in New York. Last summer (2007) I stayed on campus - as opposed to coming home and living with my parents in Massachusetts - and worked/earned an income through the school. However, the previous winter break, which ended in middle-January 2007, I...

Live part-time NYC and work full-time and live part-timein Long Island am I NYC resi [ 1 Answers ]

For all of 2007, I lived and worked in Suffolk County four days per week, and I lived in the Bronx three days per week (not working during those three days). My employer generated my w-2 form with non-resident status based on my working and living in Suffolk County for my emploment. My question is,...

Useful ways to spend my spare time [ 15 Answers ]

Hi all, Having just completed a post graduate qualification I've unexpectedly found myself without a job and with unlimited free time. However it seems my time management and imagination aren't as great as I expected as I've been having trouble finding worthwhile things to fill my free time. ...

View more questions Search