Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cnkfamx6 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2009, 09:33 PM
    Child Abandonment Florida
    I regained custody of my daughter back in Sept, 2007 due to my ex-wife removing my daughter out of state after I filed paper in the court asking for the child to remain in Florida. The orders state that the mother is to have no visitation with the child and that I have temperary custody. It is now Feb 2009 and the mother has had absolutley no contact with child ( no b-day, Christmas, phone calls) My question is, Has she abandoned our child? And if she decided after 2 years she wants the child back does she have a shot?
    Is there any way I can keep the child as me being primary parent or is this just going to be a waiting game for her to decide or not to decide to be the child's mother?
    The mother still resides out of the state, if that helps any.. And has done nothing to make it even seem she was interested in being in the child's life.
    Is there any benefit to filing child abandonment or any such thing and would it be beneficial for the child?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2009, 05:04 AM

Its really just a waiting game, but ultimately the longer she waits the harder it is for her to get ANY visitation. Does she have a shot of getting custody back? I would guess about the same shot of you hitting Powerball. Twice.

Someday if she comes to Florida and files for visitation, she may be granted limited visits.

I would, however, go to court and have that 'temporary' removed from your custody. She seems to want it to be permanent. Do you have a lawyer?

Feb 27, 2009, 05:58 AM

We do not have a lawyer.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2009, 06:00 AM

The security it would bring would certainly be worth the consultation fee. I would recommend it.

Feb 27, 2009, 06:17 AM

Thanks, I just did not want to start things too soon. I want it to be that my daughter stay here and not beflip flopped.. So the longer the ex stays away the better of a chance to have my daughter stay?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 27, 2009, 06:20 AM

Of course how do you expect her to have "contact" if the court order does not give her contract, sort of a "catch" there.

But again normally merely not seeing the child, or not paying child support is not grounds to take a parents right away, but it is grounds to get primary custody changed

There has to be a date at some point to go to change the temp custody to full custody, the mother may at that time get visit rights, perhaps supervised at first. And will be ordered to pay child support.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Florida Abandonment Law [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone know where I can find a copy of Florida Abandonment laws online? Can things like property taxes be held off from having to be paid if they are not paid before he leaves?

Abandonment in Florida? [ 1 Answers ]

Isn't there a law about abandonment of real estate in Florida. I own property with my ex-boyfriend and he just stopped any financial responsibilities to the house, it has been on the market for over a year and I have not seen or heard form him for 6 months?

What is considered Child Abandonment in Florida [ 1 Answers ]

My son and I and his girlfriend lived in Ohio. We moved to Florida a year ago and my grandson was born here in Florida. My son has decided to move back to Ohio and she wants to stay here in Florida. They never married, however, he is named the father on the birth cert. They are still living...

View more questions Search