Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peachy621 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2009, 06:49 PM
    Father's name on a Birth Certificate
    What are the laws if my son's birth certificate has a father listed that I am sure is not the real father? The person's name that is on the certificate is aware of this and wants it to remain this way and the real father has no interest in our son and has not in almost 2 years (my son is 3).
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 18, 2009, 06:58 PM

The law varies by state. If the person who is listed as father was your husband at the time of marriage, then most make him the legal father automatically unless challenged.

Doyou live with the person who is lsted as the father, if not is he paying child support ?

Feb 19, 2009, 11:55 AM

No he is not my husband and yes he does live with us. I guess my concern is that if the real father all of the sudden decides he wants to be in his life will it create a big problem legally?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 19, 2009, 11:57 AM

Depends on how soon the real father acts.

Has the listed father signed an acknowledgement of paternity?

Feb 19, 2009, 01:54 PM
    No he has not signed an acknowledgement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I get my father's name add my birth certificate; where do I go, and what all [ 4 Answers ]

How can I get my father's name add my birth certificate; where do I go, and what all has to be done.

Father's name on birth certificate [ 3 Answers ]

How do I add my child's father's name to her birth certificate?

Add father's name in birth certificate [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! I have been asking question concerning how add a father's name in a birth certificate, without going through a lawyer with the concent of a mother? If you have any answer concerning this question I will appreciate it. Gladys >Moved to Family Law<

Father's name on birth certificate [ 7 Answers ]

If the parents are unmarried, does the father need to be present for the mother to put his name on the birth certificate?:confused: :confused:

Getting father's name on the birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I have a daughter that was born in Japan on a military base (we are both US citizens). Her father lives in the states. He was not present at birth and the legal office here said he could not be on her official birth certificate since he wasn't here and we're not married. We have been trying to...

View more questions Search