Ask
    shampoo37 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2009, 04:19 PM
    401K with divorce
    Been married for 5 years, can spouse get half of 401K
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2009, 06:46 PM

The answer depends upon when contributions began and ended and whether in your state post-separation earnings (and therefore contributions to the 401(k)) are separate property (as in California).

Since pre-marital and post-separation contributions in California are separate property, those are out of the equation in dividing the 401(k). The marital contributions (in CA defined as date of marriage to date of separation) plus the gains and losses attributable thereto are community property and divided equally.

Much of the time the division is not 50-50 but again, it depends on the issues I mentioned.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Divorce and 401K [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I believe it is federal law that the spouse is the beneficiary... therefore, does he have right to take out a loan without my permission as he knew we are divorcing, also he has been dishonest, as he said it was for a residential refinance, and in the end... it's not going here, foreclosure is...

401k and divorce [ 2 Answers ]

I'm closing my 401k due to a divorce settlement. Will I still have to pay penalties in this situation?

401k and divorce [ 7 Answers ]

I am 49, terminated last year after 18 years due to restructure, am attending school to retrain for another profession. My husband has ask for a divorce and says that he is entitled to half of my 401k. This is my question. I obviously am going to have to get into this money just to survive until...

View more questions Search