Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    enosike85 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2008, 08:10 AM
    Should my mother put a lien on her house? Evil husband
    :confused: Hi my mother is considering a divorce with my father. They have been married for 31 years. I am 24, a college graduate, and my brother is 17 in his last year of high school. My father is African and visits his country every three months. He has two other children, excluding my brother and I. He married his youngest child's mother in Africa . My mother is American, and has always held down the fort. She has been used and abused (she receives no help from him financially, and she paid for his weeding in Africa when he he asked her to western union her money. He has kicked me down a flight of stairs, and the list get longer and worse. Anyhow my mother wants to get a divorce, be she is frightened he might try to sell her house to a family member, and put us out on the street. This man is very very smart, and a professional con-artists. He has the potential to sell the house, and tell his brother to make us pay rent. What steps should my mother take to have a less chaotic divorce process? Is taking a lien out on the house a good idea. About if the market value is lower than what we expected? Please help! Thank you! :confused:
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2008, 08:27 AM
    Welcome to AMHD. Your mother needs to retain a good lawyer. What is there to consider? Does she have self-esteem issues? Her attorney will know how to protect her home. She should not try to do this on her own because he will just try to steam-roll her. It sounds as though she needs a restraining order in the petition for divorce, as well.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2008, 08:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by enosike85
    :confused: Hi my mother is considering a divorce with my father. They have been married for 31 years. I am 24, a college graduate, and my brother is 17 in his last year of high school. My father is African and visits his country every three months. He has two other children, excluding my brother and I. He married his youngest child's mother in Africa . My mother is American, and has always held down the fort. She has been used and abused (she receives no help from him financially, and she paid for his weeding in Africa when he he asked her to western union her money. He has kicked me down a flight of stairs, and the list get longer and worse. Anyhow my mother wants to get a divorce, be she is frightened he might try to sell her house to a family member, and put us out on the street. This man is very very smart, and a professional con-artists. He has the potential to sell the house, and tell his brother to make us pay rent. What steps should my mother take to have a less chaotic divorce process? Is taking a lien out on the house a good idea. About if the market value is lower than what we expected? Please help!! Thank you!!:confused:

If your mother is part owner of the house he can't sell it out from under her. You can only sell what you own individually or what you own jointly if the other party agrees.

Am I reading this right? Your mother paid for your father to marry another woman in Africa?

I don't think there is any way to prevent a "chaotic" divorce - but I would think the sooner, the better, before someone gets seriously hurt.

Has anyone ever gotten a protective order against him for the physical abuse?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 4, 2008, 08:36 AM
    Umm Bigamy is against the law in the US. I'm not sure if marrying another woman in an Afrcian nation would qualify as bigamy, but I would explore that. If so, he can be arrested the minute he sets foot back in the US.

As for the house, who is on the deed?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 4, 2008, 12:38 PM
    Comments on this post
    enosike85 disagrees: Should she get a lien on the house

First, may I call your attention to the guidelines for using the comments feature found here:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/feedba...ure-24951.html

I asked you a question about who is on the deed. I can't answer the question about a lien without knowing the answer to that question. That is no reason to give a negative comment.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2008, 04:00 PM
    [QUOTE=Comments on this post
    enosike85 disagrees: Should she get a lien on the house
    [/QUOTE]

You have misused the comments feature - I note you had time to come back and give Scott a "reddie" but didn't have time to come back and answer his - and my - questions.

Now your entire "story" is in question - big time. This is not the relationship board - if you want legal advice, answer the questions that are necessary in order to give you legal advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My house haunted by evil spirits ? [ 11 Answers ]

Can someone tell me if I'm losing it / already lost it or my house is haunted by evil spirits.Many things have happened.Cabinet doors fling open by theirself.I have heard a mans voice / woman's voice, ( not able to understand them )and toys play often with no one around.I have seen shadows as...

Can my mother place a lien on my house? [ 3 Answers ]

The mortgage is not in my name, it is in my fiancés, I am on the deed however. My mother is saying she's going to put a lien on the house since I "owe" her money. About 3 years ago when I had my daughter, she gave me 4k to put towards an SUV she had found for sale at a great price at a local...

Evil step-mother *RANTish* [ 6 Answers ]

First off, I apologize if this is in the wrong spot. To be perfectly honest, I was too lazy to read the whole string.. I stopped at the first topic that seemed.. Relevant. Now I know, you may think I'm just a spoiled little kid- You know "IN MY DAY WE COULDNT EVEN AFFORD CRAYONS--"... that...

How do I file a Real Estate Lien against my brother for my elderly mother? [ 9 Answers ]

Brother tricked elderly mother in transferring her ownership in her real estate to him. Her name is no longer on the deed. The transfer of property at zero dollars value to her, who paid the mortgage and still does through her social security check. He thereafter, removed her from her home. He...

Lien on real estate I bought from my mother [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a piece of real estate from my mother, and we did a quit claim deed; I have decided to sell the real estate and have a buyer... but the buyers lawyer said that there is a lien on the property where my mother had borrowed against the land many years back, do I have to pay the lien before...

View more questions Search