Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jennldalton Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2008, 03:24 PM
    What is considered child abandonment?
    My fiancée has been divorced since May 2000. At that time his exwife and him were awarded shared custody. She was around the kids for a few months and then decided she did not want to be around them any more and she had not seen them until 2008 at a couple ball games? Now my fiancée just got served with papers stating she wants the kids from Sunday to Thursday? He has been raising the boys without their biological mother and now just wants to take them from him where he would only see them about 2 days out of the week. We are going to see a lawyer, however we were wondering if there was such a thing as abandonment. She has not called them, sent cards, birthday or christmas gifts in all this time.
    Please let me know what kind of information there is out there to help us?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2008, 03:29 PM
    If you wanted to charge her with abandonment, the time to do that was BEFORE she decided that she wanted a relationship with her children.

They are HER children, and it's better late than never, for them to know the woman that gave birth to them.

Unless she is a danger to them, or herself, she has the God given right see, love, and help raise her own children.

If she is a legitimate danger, by all means, hire a good lawyer and fight to keep her away.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 18, 2008, 05:37 PM
    Abandoment varies by state in some states it is leaving them at walmart and walking off, not leaving them with the other parent.
    And in many states, just not visiting, or not paying child support is not even grounds to take away the other parents rights.

So a lot will depend on your state. Also all of this time, he did not go back to court and change the custody agreement, so the court will look that she had joint cusody this entire time.

He needs to counter sue or file first if they had not filed, for full custody the judge may go back and give her joint custody again, ( leave it as it is in place) or change it either way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What income is considered for FL child support [ 2 Answers ]

My fiancé pays child support in Florida. Will my income and property be included when determining how much child support he pays once we get married?

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

What is considered Child Abandonment in Florida [ 1 Answers ]

My son and I and his girlfriend lived in Ohio. We moved to Florida a year ago and my grandson was born here in Florida. My son has decided to move back to Ohio and she wants to stay here in Florida. They never married, however, he is named the father on the birth cert. They are still living...

Is ONE year of no visitation considered ABANDONMENT? [ 4 Answers ]

My situation is a little bit complicated, I had a baby boy with an American citizen (NY), I am from Costa Rica (Central America) our son was born here(CR) on 2003, when he was a new born we went to the American embassy and requested the birth certificate abroad, my son who is 4 now has an american...

After how long is abandonment considered? [ 4 Answers ]

My fiancé has 2 boys ages 6 and 8 with a mother that is hardly ever around. The mother will go many weeks without contacting the boys. If she decides she really wants the boys to visit they have to be bribed to go to her house. Since August 15th she has not tried to even call the boys. It is now...

View more questions Search