Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CrystalAnn144 Posts: 4, Reputation: 3

Jun 12, 2008, 06:09 PM
    Can you sue for back child support?
    In Oregon can an 18 yr old sue for back child suport from her father he was NEVER there her whole life and never paid a dime? She knows him, knows where he lives, but he refuses to have anything to do with her.
    And can she sue her grandmother for still collecting the child support from her mother for over 5 years after she moved away from her grandmothers?
    Basically, is there anyway that this girl can get any of her money back?
    She has dreams of college and careers but can't afford them due to the way she was raised and wants to do something about it.
    Thanks for you help
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 12, 2008, 07:14 PM
    No, actually she has no standing. The child support is paid to the custodial parent, and believe it or not, even if the child is not living there, if the person paying does not object and go back to court, they get it.
    For example even after 5 years, if the one person paying even had the child living with them, they still have to pay, unless the court order was changed.

So the back payments would go to the parent or guardian that had them while the support was due. It goes to the guardian for raising them, not to the actual child.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Back Child Support [ 5 Answers ]

I have a friend who has Physical Custody of his daughter's ( 3 ) and has had for about 10 years. Even though the courts have said the mom has custody, he can prove that the kids have been with him through school records and such. The mom lives in a different county. He is getting letters from the...

Back child support for adult child [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Texas collecting back child support through a child support collection agency for my two adult children. I admitted years ago to my ex-husband that one of the adult child may not be his but he never took the DNA test and could not get the other man to take the test. This summer I learned...

Back child support and social security disability back pay [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Texas and I am making court ordered payments fro back child support for a non-minor child. I will be receiving social security disability soon and was wondering since I am making payments will my social security back pay be garnished?:confused:

View more questions Search