Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Blue08 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2008, 01:51 PM
    Temporary Guardianship of Nephew (Different States)
    My sister would like my husband I to take care of her child while she goes to school (2 yrs.). We live in 2 different states though. She lives in MA and we in HI. (Well, in about 2 weeks we'll be in HI.)

Which states' laws do we need to follow when it comes to this? And what do we have to do? Is it just a matter of getting paperwork notarized or do we need to go to court? We'd like to be able to enroll my nephew in school in HI and be able to get him medical care when he needs it.

Also, my sister and my nephew's father are not together. How does this play into everything?

TIA. :)
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2008, 02:40 PM
    There are many legal issues to contend with for this arrangement.

Has paternity been established? Is there any court ordered visitation?
    Is the father involved in the life of the child?

AS long as she has legal, sole custody, she can write out a statement, giving you her permission to make decisions regarding school, health, or emergency situations.

Have the statement notarized, and keep a copy with you 100% of the time in case you need it quickly.

I did this once, and I reduced the statement down on a copier, and carried the smaller version in my wallet should something ever happen, and I needed it at the emergency room or such.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Worried about my nephew! [ 1 Answers ]

My nephew is 5 months old and I think his mother needs to e declaraed unfit. I just need to know how to get the prove we need to go to court with. There have been several times to where my brother would come home from wirk and the baby would screaming at the top of his lungs and the mom would be in...

Custody of Nephew [ 1 Answers ]

I am 25, my boyfriend is 29, we live together in a large 3 bedroom house in the country. He works for a farmer and mowes cemetery. I work for a lumber yard designing kitchen, I have been there for 1 year, also work for the park district and a café during lunch hour. I have a great car, health...

My nephew [ 6 Answers ]

Ok, here is the situation: I had to take my nephew home, and his mom really doesn't like him sitting in the front seat, (he is five years old) so I was going to have him sit in the back, but when I opened the back door, he refused to get in, so I automatically assumed he just was a kid who...

Spouse full time residents in separate states : states taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I got married in Dec 2006. He was a full time CA resident in 2006 and still lives there and got income only from CA. I was a fulltime Kentucky resident in 2006 and still live here and got my income only from KY. We can file federal taxes jointly. But what do we do for state...

View more questions Search