Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lcoleman Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2008, 02:12 PM
    Art funds!
    I am a visual artist that is trying to figure out what is the best way to get funding for art projects. I do art workshops with youth ages 4-17, and I don't charge the kids because a lot of them come from low income homes. I work for the City I live in, in the Parks & Recreation Dept. with kids. By being a city employee, even only being part-time disqualifies me from going after city funding. My second job I am a Mentor/Youth Advocate, I work with youth that are on probation in the juvenile system. With the sell of my art work and these two part-time jobs, that's how most of needs get taking care of.(art supplies, snacks, frames!) I have a d.b.a.(doing business as), I have been told to go after government funding by becoming a 5013c nonprofit organization. Others have said, continue to use d.b.a. and just seek out sponsors. Any suggestions? trying to get rid of the starving artist stigma while helping at risk youth.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2008, 02:36 AM
    I have to commend you for the work that you are doing! I have built over 1,000 thumb pianos with kids in the vicinity where I live and no kid has ever had to pay a cent for one. I have made all of the parts for the kids to put together. If you were to buy the ones like the ones for which I have made the parts and subsequently, the kids have put together, one of them would be worth around $60.00 to $80.00.

What is the size of the city in which you live and work? I find it hard to understand why you can't have any funding from the city for something that is beneficial to youth, even if you are only a part-time employee. Would it be possible for you to attend a city council meeting in order to address some of the needs that you have? I would think that seeking out sponsors would be the easiest route to approach for immediate funding.

Do you make your own picture frames? I make my own picture frames also.

These are just some beginning thoughts from me to you... I am sure that others will be able to come up with additional ideas for you!
    lcoleman Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2008, 10:05 AM
    I live in the capital city of my state, and I have discussed with the contact people in the Cultural Division Dept. of the City. City employees are not eligible for city funding! I would basically have to leave my position in order to apply and write a proposal for city funding. If I quit my job to go after funding and not receive it, that would make matters worse. I will seek some sponsors! Thanks for your input!
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2008, 12:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lcoleman
    I live in the capital city of my state, and I have discussed with the contact people in the Cultural Division Dept. of the City. City employees are not eligible for city funding! I would basically have to leave my position in order to apply and write a proposal for city funding. If I quit my job to go after funding and not receive it, that would make matters worse. I will seek some sponsors! Thanks for your input!
    Have you thought of contacting the "Art Guild" in your city? It might be a possibility. If you live in a large city, I would write letters to those who you know are art lovers and who support the arts in your area. Many are philanthropists, looking for good causes to support. I would draft a letter and have photos of the kids and their projects they have worked on, and include other documentation of your work with the youth.

The starving artist stigma, sadly is and has always been an issue. Getting your name out there, getting on radio talk shows, being interviewed by the newspaper are great ways of doing that. You might even visit with your local newspaper with the story of what you are trying to accomplish with the youth. It would not only get your name out there, bring attention to your work with the youth and the need they have but also the need you have to provide funds to continue your work.

Blessing for all the good you are doing. :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 26, 2008, 01:09 PM
    There are many groups, from faith based to other civic groups, have you approached groups like the Lion club, the Elks, VFW, churches to get help with funding

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Retirement funds [ 3 Answers ]

Approximately 5 months ago my checking account was seized by a credit card company that obtained a judgement against me that I didn't know about. I filed for an exemption and the money was returned. I live on a fixed income of Social Security and a small company funded pension. I know SS is...

Trust Funds [ 1 Answers ]

How does one go about starting a trust fund for a developmentaly challenged son.

Mutual Funds [ 1 Answers ]

I've been researching mutual funds and I've narrowed it down to 2 which have very similar holdings (5 of the top 10 holdings are identical) and are very similar in other side by side comparisons. The main difference is one has 70/30 % stocks and bonds (FNMA and us treasury note) the other is100%...

Trust funds [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my club is interested in opening their own trust fund can u help me with the steps they have to take the responsibilities and how much executive have to be on a board

View more questions Search