Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Delfinka Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2008, 07:50 AM
    Divorce after ILR
    Hello,
    I received my ILR in the UK within genuine marriage with British citizen in Aug 2006 after two years of living together. He left me Dec 2006, now he is starting divorce. His ground for divorce is that my sole motive of marrying him was to obtain residency. It is not true.
    But if he is lucky enough to proof it, can my residency be cancelled, or can I be deported?
    It is really worrying me, because I am settled down in the UK, and I have started job in education system from September last year.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Apr 20, 2008, 10:46 AM
    If you can prove that you enter marriage in good faith, not to obtain residency, then you have nothing to worry about. You would need to provide evidences that you've live together as married couple, having joint accounts, leases and bills in both names, etc.

If he files for divorce, it's OK, BUT if he files for annulment, you will need a good immigration lawyer ASAP.

Apr 20, 2008, 02:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lawanwadee
    If you can prove that you enter marriage in good faith, not to obtain residency, then you have nothing to worry about. You would need to provide evidences that you've live together as married couple, having joint accounts, leases and bills in both names, etc.

If he files for divorce, it's OK, BUT if he files for annulment, you will need a good immigration lawyer ASAP.
    Sorry, what did you mean by "if he files for divorce, it's OK"? Did you mean, that divorce is no going to affect my existing residency?
    Immigration Expert

Apr 20, 2008, 02:23 PM
    If he files for divorce, and you can prove that you entered the marriage in good faith, the marriage is bona fide, and you have proofs of living with him as married couple, then divorce will not jeopardize your status.

Apr 21, 2008, 08:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lawanwadee
    If he files for divorce, and you can prove that you entered the marriage in good faith, the marriage is bona fide, and you have proofs of living with him as married couple, then divorce will not jeopardize your status.
    Yes, I have a proof, and my sister in law is going to support me. But I still need an immigration lawyer, do I?
    Immigration Expert

Apr 22, 2008, 08:04 AM
    It depends on your situation, you may not need an immigration lawyer if you have sufficient proofs, and sworn statements from witnesses,
    But IF your husband files for annulment, you would definitely need one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

To divorce or not to divorce [ 36 Answers ]

Okay, my husband and I have had issues for quite some time. For a time we separted and he convinced me to give him a second chance... he said I won't regret it. Well, I am. He gets in these grumpy moods and gets quite mean. This morning I asked him to help me get the kids ready because I had to...

Going through a Divorce. [ 3 Answers ]

How would you handle a divorce when 2 kids are involved?? :(

Divorce (?) [ 1 Answers ]

What's a no-fault divorce?

LV Divorce in Ca [ 3 Answers ]

Hello,I'm new to this board and looking for any advise to what to do. I got married 13mo. Ago in Las Vegas and it seam's as I have to get a divorce to protect myself and assets and a business, that were mine, prior to the plunge. Does the time of marriage have any bearing to making it easier or...

View more questions Search