Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CHERinSC Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2006, 01:42 PM
    Stepmother and Biological Dad's Will
    My dad died recently and I know he had a will. I have heard that my step mother is not going to probate his will. And if she doesn't, I have no way of knowing what was in the will and if my name along with my two brother's names are mentioned and if dad left anything to us at all.

My question is: Can someone be forced to probate a will? If so, how?

Thanks,
    CHER
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 7, 2006, 02:28 PM
    Hire a probate attorney.

They will file suit, also if you know who the attorney was ( and as an heir you should know who the lawyer was) he would have a copy of the will also.

If a copy of the will can not be found, it will merely be your word against there that a will even exists. The sooner you get an attorney, the sooner things can be tied up until it is looked into by the court
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2006, 03:03 PM
    Hi,
    I agree with the answer before mine, get a lawyer, one experienced with Wills.
    If your Dad has his Will drawn up by a lawyer, to be signed and Notorized, that lawyer might not even have a copy of it. It can vary by state. The State of VA doesn't require a lawyer to keep a copy. The only valid copy is the "original", which is returned to the person signing it.
    A lawyer can advise you on the best way to see the Will, if there really is one.
    I do wish you the best of luck.
    CHERinSC Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2006, 06:12 AM
    Thank you for your responses to my question. I have found out that my brother and biological mother are getting a lawyer in North Carolina to force my step mother to probate the will. This way I know I will find out if anything was left to me and my other two brothers.
    Again, thank you!
    CHER

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Biological grandparent [ 4 Answers ]

I was wondering if there was anything that I could do to find out who my mothers mother is... and on that note try and track down my father. My bio grandmothers name is Virginia Kimble... not sure of the spelling. As far as I've been told her family resided in or near Newport, Or. My mother was...

Find my biological mother [ 6 Answers ]

My name is Claus Hanke living in Denmark. My adopted son Thomas (born March 15, 1968) wants to find his biological parents, prefarably his biological mother. He has given me the authority to conduct this search. From his early childhood he has known, that he was adopted. Thomas is doing well in...

Who pays deceased dad's bills [ 3 Answers ]

I have been taking care of someone for sometime now because of health reasons. I have a written and notarized agreement between myself and this party. If he should pass on, would his heirs be liable to pay me or would I have to go to court. If so, please advise how to proceed. IL resident

Curious about biological mother or father [ 6 Answers ]

View more questions Search