Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beverlywatson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2008, 01:15 AM
    California Child Support and College Tuition
    Does California have a law that would order a parent to continue to pay child support AND tuition so the child could attend college? The support order did not include college when written. Would a new formula be used? The visition changed during the last 3 years as well. Support wasn't ajusted. Can child take the parent back to court for back pay?
    Thanks
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 31, 2008, 04:52 PM
    No there is no law that Im aware of for paying child support beyond 18 in Calif with the exception that it does continue until the graduate High School. As far as paying tuition there isn't a law for that either. Those things must be agreed upon. If there are arrears on a child support case there is no time limit so you could be paying for the rest of your life and then some. Calif has a %10 interest rate on arrears. They also have one of the worst child support systems in the country.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 31, 2008, 05:24 PM
    The other parent can take you back to court, ( the child has no legal standing although the money is for them) Yes if they take you back to court, they can rule you could have to continue payments of support though college and a percent of the college costs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support After 18 - California Law [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am Concerned Father of an 18 year old daughter. She has been living with her mother since she was 7. Although we had JOINT Custody, the mother would not agree to let my daughter live with me at anytime after the divorce in fear of being alone. After 11 years of faithfully paying child support...

Ex not paying college tuition? [ 3 Answers ]

Can my ex refuse to pay for our son's college tuition even though it is in the divorce that we each pay 50%? He says he doesn't have the money and probably can't get a loan due to negative equity on his house... Is it worth it to take him to court?

Maximum Child Support in California [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a maximum amount of child support that is calculated for someone to pay? In California? I know they use the dissomaster when you are going through the divorce. Now, months later, my ex went to court and got temp full custody for three weeks and they keep continuing it so I haven't seen...

Backdate Child Support in California? [ 1 Answers ]

Can they backdate the child support? I was supposed to have equal time with my children, but my ex went to court and got a temporary full custody order and then they keep continuing it so it has been 6 months since I have seen my children.

Child support, college expenses and name changes [ 4 Answers ]

There are several issues I have questions about: 1. If a child over the age of 18 changes his surname to his mother's maiden name, does the father still have to pay college expenses or child support (in NJ)? 2. If the father has NO say in the college choice, is he still obligated to pay...

View more questions Search