Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thegmomma Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2008, 08:55 AM
    At what age could a child request to live with a specific parent?
    My husband and his ex-wife share custody with their two children. (a 9 year old daughter and a 12 year old son) The children really prefer living in our home which involves a much more stable and routine environment. At what age might they request to live with us on more of a "full time" basis? We are afraid that my husband's ex-wife COULD AND PROBABLY WILL put pressure on the kids and give them a terrible time in regards to this idea. What are your thoughts?? :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 26, 2008, 09:11 AM
    They can "request" it at any age. But the decision will be made by Family Court. If you wish to modify the custody/visitation agreement then you have to petition in Family Court to change it. The court will listen to your arguments, the desires of the children and your ex's arguments, then make a decision on what they feel is best for the children.
    ldyastrid Posts: 82, Reputation: 12

Mar 28, 2008, 09:35 AM
    When you petition the family court for custody, the children will be appointed a guardian at lidem (spelled something like that)... that's a court appointed person that talks to the children and both parents separately and makes a recommendation to the court based on information they've gathered about what's in the best interest of the child - kind of like a lawyer for the children - each parent has to pay 1/2 the cost of that court appointed guardian.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What age a child can decide with wichi parente to live in California State. [ 17 Answers ]

I want to know, when or what age a child can decide with wich parent to live in California State?

Live action/animated movie title request. [ 3 Answers ]

I have few memories of this movie, but I remember loving it so I am trying to find it for my children. The movie starts as a live action movie. It's older, kind of like Mary Poppins, and I think the children are English as well. I remember a pond in a large field outside of a large mansion. Somehow...

What is the proper age for playdate without parent? [ 10 Answers ]

My son is 4 years old and has a playdate today at my home. On Friday I ran into other child's mom and child (mine was not present) they asked for a playdate and a time of today was set up. (at moms convenience). She just called to tell me that she is dropping her off and will pick her up about...

Can I choose what parent I want to live with at the age of 15 in clovis New Mexico [ 8 Answers ]

Hey I'm 15 years old and I live with my dad and I absolutely hate it... well over the last couple of months I found out that my dad don't have full custody... him and my mom have joint custody... and all my friends are telling me that I am old enough to choose who I want to live with and the...

Age A child can choose which parent to live with [ 3 Answers ]

I have a daughter who lives in Michigan and stayed there when my husband and I moved to Arizona. She is now calling every night crying that she wants to move back in with us but her other parent will not allow it. How is it that a child's voice can not be heard. I am completely blown away that a...

View more questions Search