Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    green_eyed_wizard_83 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2008, 11:28 AM
    Laws on child abandonment?
    I have a three almost four year old daughter, her father has not paid one dollar to child support, it is not court ordered and we have not done a dna test. He is not on the birth certificate, yet I was told that I can not have her adopted with out the biological fathers signature. I was wondering how long do I have to wait to file child abandonment and how do I do that?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 12, 2008, 11:42 AM
    Child abandonment is not the issue. Child abandonment occurs where a child is left all alone. This appears to be a common misconception.

The issue here is parental rights. The biological father has parental rights until and unless they are terminated. The reason you are being told that she cannot be adopted without the bio father's signature is because the father has to agree with it, otherwise he can later void the adoption.

So you have to make a good faith effort to get the bio father's signature. If you can't find him, there are things you can do. If he refuses to sign, then you can try to inspire him to sign by suing him for child support. Or you can sue for termination of rights on the grounds that he has not exercised his rights.
    phyl5486 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2009, 02:15 PM
    I am a 55 year old grandmother who has been rasing two of her grandsons since June of last year.I have already been to child support court once but the mother had not been served.My so the father of the two boys is in prison.I have a notorized piece of paper giving me temporary custody until further notice.Ever since she dropped the boys off to me she has not been back and she has seen no money for support.I receive ssi and I get tanf a month.She has called about 6 times since she has been in Arkansas.Is there anyway possible that I can file aBANDONMENT CHARGES ON HER?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 12, 2009, 03:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by phyl5486 View Post
    I am a 55 year old grandmother who has been rasing two of her grandsons since june of last year.I have already been to child support court once but the mother had not been served.My so the father of the two boys is in prison.I have a notorized peice of paper giving me temporary custody until futher notice.Ever since she dropped the boys off to me she has not been back and she has seen no money for support.I recieve ssi and I get tanf a month.She has called about 6 times since she has been in Arkansas.Is there anyway possible that I can file aBANDONMENT CHARGES ON HER?
    Your answer is no. She didn't leave them in the street. She left them with you. Also you can't do anything until your legal and at this point your not even the legal guardian of those children. They could be taken away from you at any time. You need to talk to a lawyer and get into court pronto. You need to seek custody then you can ask for relief through child support. Having a piece of paper noterized doeant mean much. It just means that the signature is authentic to state standards.. it says nothing about the document being signed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NC Child Abandonment Laws [ 4 Answers ]

My name is Brandi and I like in Gaston County, NC. I have a five year old son with an ex boyfriend, and I encounter the ongoing problem that the ex, whom I will call Travis, has little to no concern for his son. We have not gone to court for custody, because I can't afford it and the state won't...

Abandonment of a child.what are the laws? [ 2 Answers ]

By law, when is it okay to file abandonment paperwork against your child's other parent? How long does it have to be before you can file the paperwork? If you have a protection order for you and your child against the other person, can you still file the abandonment paperwork if it is in the...

Child abandonment laws [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I live in Illinois. He has joint cusody of his 3 children with his exwife. He was paying almost 50% of his check for child support, and picking them up on the weekends. As of Feb of 2006 he was injured on the job, and hasn't worked since. His ex wife dropped the children off March...

Child abandonment laws [ 1 Answers ]

My fiancé would like me to adopt her four year old son, as would I. The child's father has only seen him a couple times and has had no contact with him in a year. He only pays his child support to get out of jail or else to keep from going to jail he will make a quick payment to save his own butt!...

View more questions Search