Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kvsushigirl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2008, 07:44 PM
    Married to disabled husband
    I am helping a married friend with her taxes. She is married to a man who is on SSA disability for a head injury. He receives less than $15,000 per year and has never filed taxes while single due to it being only the SSA. She works as a therapist and makes ~$45,000 per year. Now that they are married, it is my understanding that whether they file married filing jointly or married filing separately they have to include his SSA (at least a portion as determined by the form that assists with the calculation of this) He also has an investment related to the head injury law suit settlement that has an interest gain of $1000...

My question is if this is indeed the correct way for them to file. She seems to think that if he never had to pay taxes on that money before... why does he now that they are married? Can she file taxes as Married filing Separately and pretend that SSA money doesn't exist? And then he doesn't have to file at all? I can admit the logic seems a bit twisted... that as a single man he didn't have to pay and now as married it counts?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 7, 2008, 09:23 PM
    You can only file as Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately.
    Social security disability benefits may be are taxable only if the total the total income exceeds the base amount.

The base amount for Single is about $25,000 so if he did not pay any taxes in past it is fine.
    For Married Filing Jointly, the base amount is about $33,000. So your friend should file as Married Filing Separately and her spouse does not have to file taxes if his only income is SSA disability.

Mar 7, 2008, 09:29 PM
    I guess I am confused... we spoke to the IRS who led us to believe that because they are married that they have to pay on a portion of his SSA... based on a formula provided in the 1040... now that she has filed 2 years to her disadvantage... what do we do now?

Mar 7, 2008, 09:31 PM
    So you are saying that she simply files on her income alone as Married Filing Separately and ignores all of his SSA income?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husband had sex with his niece before we were married, how do I get over it? [ 30 Answers ]

My husband and I have known each other for seven years, been together for about five, been married for a year and a half. He is 43 and I am 26. He has a 30 year old niece who I will call "Tara." A few years ago, when we were seeing each other but not exclusive, he told me that he was feeling...

Ex husband says he still loves me but is married. [ 1 Answers ]

I've been divorced now 16 years. I occasionally run into my ex and now we are friends. I just got a call out of the blue after about 4 years and he says his wife is cheating on him and that she wants a divorce. Then he proceeds to tell me he loves me and always will. I was worried because I have...

My sisters husband married her for green card! [ 4 Answers ]

My sister had a love marriage and now that after 5 years of marriage as soon as he got his green card her told her he don't love her anymore and told her to leave the house. She found out from his friends that he married her for green card and also he is cheating on her, she can't give him a...

Just got married my husband don't have any kids [ 1 Answers ]

I want to have a baby but my tubes are tied is their any hope?

I'm a married female and I'm BI love women more then husband [ 3 Answers ]

I love my husband but it seems I fantasize about women and want to have sex with women then him. We do recreational drugs at times and can have lots of sex with him but if we aren't on them sex with him really doesn't interest me. When it comes to women and haven't been with many at all I get...

View more questions Search