Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KatyMac Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2008, 04:40 PM
    My son's last name is hyphenated, and I want to remove his father last name!
    I have a question about legally changing my child's last name. I live in Chester County, PA. My son was born in 3/03. My son's father and I were never married, but I decided to give my child a hyphenated last name. When I had my son they did not put his fathers name on his birth certificate, but he does pay child support.The father of my son is not in his life although he lives less than a mile away.He only sees his son twice a year if that.I have always wanted to change his last name, but now that he will be starting school in the fall, I really want to have his fathers last name removed and just keep my last name. When I contacted the court house, they advised me to contact a lawyer. They also told me that I have to go to the law library and pay $132.00 for all of the forms. Since I am only taking a part of his name off, I don't know if I have to go though all of that. Please help me and let me know if there is an easier way to precede with this, and do I need the fathers consent to change the name, even though he is not on the birth certificate or in his life. I also wanted to know if this is something that I have to go to court and go before a judge. Please Help!! -Thank you
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2008, 08:29 PM
    Yes, you must file a petition, the father must be 'served', and you go before a judge. You can do it. A lawyer would probably charge $750.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to locate father for permission of my son's name change. [ 3 Answers ]

My son almost seven has my maiden name and there is no father listed on the birth certificate. I'm trying to figure out how I can change my son's last name to my current married name. I have no idea where his biological father is and even his parents have not seen him in years. If I'm going to...

Can you remove a biological father from the birth certificate. If he agrees [ 9 Answers ]

I have a one year old daughter. And her father has never helped support her. And now that the State is forcing him to, he's asked me if there was anyway to have his name taken off the birth certificate so that he has no legal obligations to her! I agree with him and think it would be for the best,...

Getting my son's father to sing over his rights [ 2 Answers ]

I want my son's father to sign over his right's (we haven not been together since I was 3 months pregnant, he was not there at the birth, but he he says he needs time to think about it)... it's been 4 months. What should be my next step, legally to get the ball rolling?

Son's father owes me money for bills paid [ 3 Answers ]

As the title says: my son's father owes me money for bills paid. I had brought my son to the dentist. I paid for ALL of the costs (didn't have dental insurance at the time) In the court order (Wisconsin if it makes a difference at all), it does state that the father is to pay half of all uncovered...

My son's father, visitation, etc [ 11 Answers ]

I have so many questions and concerns right now, I don't even know what to do anymore! First off, my ex-boyfriend and I have a child together. I recently moved out of his house, and back in with my parents. We were never married, so I know that means that I have sole custody of our son. I'm...

View more questions Search