Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yellow hair Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2008, 05:07 PM
    leaving the state with child
    My husband and I left a state to go to another. Our 11 yr(my step child) daughter was so excited. Her mother who was asked, agreed to, had no problem with it. To go back a little, the mother left(abandoned) husband(my husb) and two children(one is 19 now)for another man. Told the courts she did not want the children due to her new boyfriend(now her husb).
    My husb asked the courts to make her be a part of their (Children)lives. She paid $150mo for child support, got the kids every Thurs for 4 hours and every other weekend.After 1 yr she stopped getting the kids. Held to none of the court order but child support(always behind).
    She asked us to stop all child support or she would would take us to court for leaving the state without her knowing. Even though I have phone records showing calls were made to each other between child and mother and she agreed to this but we did not get anything in writing. Was taken to court, found guilty, have to fly(paying all expenses)child back to that state 2x year, child support was stopped,and was never allowed to speak at this court hearing, neither was our lawyer! How is that!
    And the worse part the child does not want to go visit her due to a lot of issues in that household. Not good conditions.
    The court will not even speak to the child.
    How do we go about this? I need a good lawyer to make the mother come where we are for court(UTAH) and turn this around rightfully.This mother will not even buy her a toothbrush.Why doesn't she have to pay child support or part of the flight?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 22, 2008, 12:31 PM
    Your story is a little confusing. He needs to deal with the courts in the state that awarded custody. They have juresdiction over the child and child support matters. He can ask for a trial to get this straightened out and also ask for a parental evaluation. Both parents will have to participate but it will get a lot of things answered and a judge can look at them.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2008, 12:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by yellow hair
    My husband and I left a state to go to another. Our 11 yr(my step child) daughter was so excited. Her mother who was asked, agreed to, had no problem with it. To go back a little, the mother left(abandoned) husband(my husb) and two children(one is 19 now)for another man. Told the courts she did not want the children due to her new boyfriend(now her husb).
    My husb asked the courts to make her be a part of their (Children)lives. She paid $150mo for child support, got the kids every Thurs for 4 hours and every other weekend.After 1 yr she stopped getting the kids. Held to none of the court order but child support(always behind).
    She asked us to stop all child support or she would would take us to court for leaving the state without her knowing. Even though I have phone records showing calls were made to each other between child and mother and she agreed to this but we did not get anything in writing. Was taken to court, found guilty, have to fly(paying all expenses)child back to that state 2x year, child support was stopped,and was never allowed to speak at this court hearing, neither was our lawyer! How is that!
    And the worse part the child does not want to go visit her due to alot of issues in that household. Not good conditions.
    The court will not even speak to the child.
    How do we go about this? I need a good lawyer to make the mother come where we are for court(UTAH) and turn this around rightfully.This mother will not even buy her a toothbrush.Why doesn't she have to pay child support or part of the flight?

First, where was your Lawyer during all of this "don't talk" stuff?

I think you need a new, tougher Attorney but you have to go back to Court. The mother does not have to fly to the child - the child gets flown to the mother and that's the problem with moving out of State without the Court's permission.

I don't know why the Court cancelled the child support order - unless they are hinging support on visitation - ?

I think you need a tougher Attorney - and I know that's expensive but I can't think of another answer. I know law firm sponsor this Board and so maybe giving one of them a call is a good idea - they are community minded and maybe they can help.

Is there a chance the mother will get bored with the child and just drop the whole subject? Of course, I don't think I'd sit and wait for that to happen. (Deadbeats remain deadbeats when all the smoke and dust from Court settles.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can father prevent child from leaving state if he has no legal custody? [ 4 Answers ]

My wife and I live in Oregon and want to take a trip to PA for a wedding and want to take my stepson also. My wife has sole custody of him but the father is telling her that she cannot take him without his permission and that the answer is no. She will not go without her son. Can he legally do this...

Leaving the state [ 5 Answers ]

A friend of mine needs held knowing his rights his ex wife is leaving the state with his 2 children. They have joint custody she has final say so. But does he have any rights. He lives in Georgia

Leaving the state [ 6 Answers ]

Hi--considering moving to calif(other coast/far away) for a new start and hopefully gainful employment after having been divorced/seperated for 8 years. The kids are 11-13-17+18 and will undoubtly be dissapointed--how is best to break the news and do u think it is something I should even consider?...

How do I stop my child's mother from leaving the state with my child? [ 1 Answers ]

My daughters mother wants to move to Ohio with my child, leaving me, my parents and girlfriend behind who are greatly involved in my child's life. What can I do to stop her. She is the castodial parent.

Leaving the state with unborn child [ 4 Answers ]

My friend wants to leave the state and move back to her hometown. She is pregnant and no longer with the father. She has told him that she is planning to move back home. He has not shown any bit of interest in the pregnancy until now. He has told her that she can't leave and that he already has...

View more questions Search