Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    billthrasher Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2008, 06:51 PM
    Child support overpayment
    I was told by my ex-girlfriend, ( my son's mother), that I am paying $8 a week too much and have been for awhile. When I started paying child support, the judge put in arrearage of $8 for a certain amount. I can't remember what the amount was but I know it has been paid for quite awhile. How do I go about getting the money that I have overpaid?
    wnk_1001 Posts: 46, Reputation: 4

Feb 16, 2008, 07:27 PM
    Go to the office of the Friend of the Court. Bring proof of payments, and bring the court order for child support. If you stop payment on the $8 you could end up in arrears which equals jail... which is not good. Do yourself a big favor and contact the court. Don't believe anything your ex tells you. Remember, believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see.

Signed, the product of the Friend of the Court.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 16, 2008, 07:37 PM
    Many states do not have "friends of the court" so that is more state specific. Do you pay directly to the mother or do you pay to the court ?
    What does your actual child support order say, get it out and read what the judge ordered

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Can you ask for child support on a child if you OWE support for the same child? [ 13 Answers ]

We have had custody of my daughter for 12 years. Tons of things have happened in those years. My daughter has truly shown her true colors. Three years ago she went to live with my mother, who I gave legal guardianship to. She has now done the same things to my mother. She is almost 17 years old and...

Child Support Overpayment [ 13 Answers ]

In 2005 the State of Indiana intercepted my '04 Tax returns to repay the $5500 in welfare that my ex received for my son. My Fed return was $6200 and my state was $450. They started taking $85/wk when my order was for $54/wk. The next year they took the Fed $2597 and the State $200 with no...

Child Support Overpayment [ 2 Answers ]

I am in South Carolina. My last child graduated from high school in May. My ex continued to pay child support for 6 weeks. I was struggling financially at the time and thought he was being considerate since the payments were no burden for him. Now he says he made the payments in error and has...

View more questions Search