Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sherick11 Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Feb 11, 2008, 08:21 AM
    College Tuition Deduction-Non Dependent
    Is there any way for someone to claim a deduction for college tuition costs paid for their child if that child can not be included on their return as a dependent? The daughter moved out of her parents' home early last year. She was a full-time student for all of 2007, and her parents paid more than 1/2 her support; however, she is 22, and doesn't meet the dependency test because she did not live with her parents for more than 6 months of the year. Can the daughter include the amount paid for the tuition by her parents on HER return if she files as a non-dependent? The tuition forms came to her parents, with their names on them. Thanks!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 12, 2008, 11:08 AM
    As far as the parents are concerned, the Hope credit and/or lifetime learning credits can only be claimed if the parents pay for a student who is their dependent, so here the parents don't qualify. The daughter can take the credit if she paid the tuition herself, but she didn't, so she doesn't qualify either. In this case the family would have been better off if the parents had gifted the tuition money to the daughter, and then the daughter had paid the tuition herself - at least that way one of them would have gotten the benefit of the credit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ex not paying college tuition? [ 3 Answers ]

Can my ex refuse to pay for our son's college tuition even though it is in the divorce that we each pay 50%? He says he doesn't have the money and probably can't get a loan due to negative equity on his house... Is it worth it to take him to court?

401k rollover deduction for daughters college tuition [ 7 Answers ]

I am over 59.5 years. Can I withdraw 401k rollover dollars tax free to pay my daughter's college tuition? If yes what IRS form(s) do I use? [email protected]

Tuition and Fees Deduction [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE, First of all, thank you for taking time in providing solutions for tax related issues. Here is my situation and question: I am filing resident 1040 MFJ return. In 2005, I have paid $12000 to a university for my MBA course. My employer reimbursed me $3000 out of the $12000. I am...

Tuition deduction - F1 [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, if I'm on F1 visa, can I deduct tuition as higher education expenses? 4,000? Thanks a lot!

Tuition fees deduction [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I was on F1 in 2003 and 2004 and now on h1b. I did not claim any eductaion expense tax benefit while I was on F1. So far I paid school fees from my own pocket. Can I claim tuition fees deduction while filing this years return?

View more questions Search