Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jujubean128 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2008, 10:34 AM
    Eviction of adult child who is affecting disabled moms health
    I am trying to obtain info on the process of evicting my newphew who lives with my sister and her husband who is seriously affecting my sister's health. She suffers both mental and physical disabilities and has deteriorated tremendously ever since my newphew (33yo) left work 2 1/2 yrs ago. He has been in 8 accidents with their cars, even totalled one. He causes such scenes that they end up just giving in especially because he knows he cannot be thrown out. There must be some special consideration given because he is such a detrement to his mother. They have little money to afford an attorney so I am trying to obtain whatever info I can... thanks
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2008, 01:46 PM
    What state are you in? You can contact the small claims court and get information on evicting a tenant. Your sister and/or her husband must be willing to pursue this.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2008, 02:10 PM
    If he isn't paying rent he's not a tenant. If he's not a tenant you can tell him he has to leave, give him a firm deadline. Once you informed him he is no longer welcome in the home he's a tresspasser and you can call the police. It will be hard for your sister to do this I'm sure but he's an adult now and at 33 he has no reason to be living at home.

Of course if he is paying rent this is another story...
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 7, 2008, 02:30 PM
    I know it can be hard to feel like your just standing by as this happens but you need to remember that your sister is married and by the law it's their problem. You can only make suggestions but at this point unless there is physical hard or coersion then you can't step in on their behalf and get the ball rolling.
    Also you might check if she is in need of socail services and what they can do for her.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 7, 2008, 05:01 PM
    Why can't he just be thrown out ? Many people just change the locks and set their kids things out on the porch, heck I have done it before myself with a 18 year old son. Hated to, but of course they can just throw him out.

If he has some rental agreement and was paying rent, you have to file in court to have him evicted legally,

But the parents will have to throw him out or file for a eviction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Eviction of Adult Child in Florida [ 1 Answers ]

My son is 21, married, and has a 9 month old daughter. They lived in an apartment for one year, then asked to move back in with us. He and his wife agreed to pay rent, but she moved out because he won't get a job. (he has a million excuses) We keep the baby 3 days a week and he participates in her...

Notice of eviction for adult with child [ 1 Answers ]

How long of a notice would my mother have to give me to evict me from her home if I have a child and don't pay rent?

Eviction of an adult child [ 2 Answers ]

How do I evict a family member who has no lease, pays no rent nor any of the monthly household expenses. I can not get him to just leave, he says to 'evict him'.

Nj eviction of adult child [ 1 Answers ]

27 year old lives at home in NJ. Has drug problems and is suspected of stealing items and cash from us. Refuses to leave when told to. How to legally get him out and restrain him from coming around

Eviction of adult child [ 1 Answers ]

At what age can a parent legally evict an adult child living in their home and be able to count on police assistance if necessary?

View more questions Search