Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gladysmejia Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2008, 03:59 PM
    Add father's name in birth certificate
    Hi!

I have been asking question concerning how add a father's name in a birth certificate, without going through a lawyer with the concent of a mother? If you have any answer concerning this question I will appreciate it. Gladys

>Moved to Family Law<
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2008, 04:05 PM
    Are you saying you are not the birth mother?
    I don't think it is possible without the consent of the mother, father and DNA test.
    A fathers name can be put on when the baby is born without DNA test but to be added I think the DNA test is required.
    wewed100606 Posts: 228, Reputation: 36

Feb 4, 2008, 04:14 PM
    In our state, MN, you need either the consent of the person being added (they need to sign a recognition of parentage) or a paternity test. If you do not have the supposed father's consent and signature you would need to get a paternity test and after that establishes him as the father you would need to file an adjudication of parentage (this is just a form from the same place you would get a copy of a birth certificate).

I believe if you have his consent to be added to the birth certificate you have to do the same adjudication process, but I could be wrong.

I actually just dealt with this today. My wife and I were not together when my daughter was born and I opted for a paternity test. It went through the court system, but no one ever told me I needed to send that court paper with $40 to the state in order to be added to the birth certificate. My wife and I married in 2006 and we all live together, I obviousley don't pay child support anymore and we kind of always assumed I was added to the birth certificate after the paternity test. Well, I went to get copies of birth certificates for my son and daughter today, but I couldn't get my daughters because I wasn't on it! Poopy face! So, now since this is our situation, we just have to send a 40 spot and a little piece of paper into the state and it will all be better.

I guess your answer depends on a couple more specifics you didn't give us. I would just go down to your lic. Bureau or whoever handles it in your state. They are pretty good about helping out as long as you don't go at lunch time! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I get my father's name add my birth certificate; where do I go, and what all [ 4 Answers ]

How can I get my father's name add my birth certificate; where do I go, and what all has to be done.

Father's name on birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I am a pregnant unwed mother. I want to use the father's last name, hyphenated with my own on the birth certificate, but for various reasons, I do not want to state the father's name on the birth certificate. I live in California, is this allowable?

Father's name not on birth certificate [ 3 Answers ]

If a Father's name is not on a birth certificate what rights does he have?

Father's name on birth certificate [ 7 Answers ]

If the parents are unmarried, does the father need to be present for the mother to put his name on the birth certificate?:confused: :confused:

Getting father's name on the birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I have a daughter that was born in Japan on a military base (we are both US citizens). Her father lives in the states. He was not present at birth and the legal office here said he could not be on her official birth certificate since he wasn't here and we're not married. We have been trying to...

View more questions Search