Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amazingbeauty Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2008, 02:22 PM
    Parental Rights
    If I were to sign over parental rights and my name is not on the birth certificate and I have not been responsbile for this child, am I still liable to pay child support?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 31, 2008, 02:51 PM
    Are you the father?

Then yes.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 31, 2008, 04:01 PM
    All the mother has to do is go to court require a DNA test and demand child support.

With that, you also just can' "give up your rights" you would have to get the mothers permission and then get the judge to agree, seldom happens.

But if you do give up your rights, you are actually claiming the child, and may have to prove it is your child by DNA to give up the rights,
    But your rights are visiting, having a say in the child's life.
    That is what you give up.

Your obligations can not be given up, unless there is a new partner for the other parent who will adopt.

And of course can we talk about moral responsibility in raising and having a part in your own child's life.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parental rights in VA [ 8 Answers ]

My daughter is 4 now, she was born in VA. Her father was not present at the time of birth and only claimed his child after a paternity test I paid for. His name is not on the birth certififcate but we have been amicable for the past 4 years. Our current "agreement" verbally only, nothing legal,...

Parental Rights? [ 14 Answers ]

So, here is the background on my daughter's father: He only comes around once a year, even tough he is entitled to visits once a month (supervised), he isn't paying child support, and to top it all off when I was 3 months pregnant I found out he is a convicted child molester. Now that she is...

Parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

I am about to file to get my daughters father rights taken away because he has not seen her, does not want to see her, nor does he want anything to do with her. I live in the state of Texas and would like to know what forms I would need and how would I go about filing them.

Parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

I know that this question is asked many times over in different situations. My daughter is 17 weeks pregnant. Her and her husband have never lived together. He has decided that he now wants a divorce and does not want to have anything to do with the child. His grandparents have hired an...

Parental Rights [ 1 Answers ]

Can a Parent sign off parental rights without the consent of the other parent?

View more questions Search