Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aklove4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2008, 12:05 PM
    Parental right
    If I sign over all parental rights to a child in nj do I still have to pay child support?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2008, 12:16 PM
    Yes otherwise many fathers would be doing that just to get out of child support.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 23, 2008, 12:18 PM
    There are MANY threads here and in the Family Law forum that discuss this. I suggest you read some of them.

Family courts are unlikely to allow you to relinquish your rights just to get out of paying child support. Generally a Termination of Parental Rights (TPR) is granted only when there is someone waiting to adopt the child or the parent represents a danger to the child.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 23, 2008, 12:56 PM
    As noted first of course most courts will not allow you just to give up your rights, esp if the other parent does not agree. And yes of course you will still have to pay child support, support is not a right but a obligation.
    If the other parent has another partner that is going to adopt, then your child support can end.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parental Right [ 1 Answers ]

My child is a few months shy of turning 16 years of age. My child's biological father has not been a part of my child's life for the past twelve years other than an occasional phone call once/twice a year. The last twelve months, my child has not heard from this biological at all. My husband has...

Parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

How do I voluntarily give up my parental rights?

Parental rights [ 1 Answers ]

I have custody of my 2 year old nephew and both of his parents are in prison. The mother is going to be getting out in about a year and is going to go back for custody of him. Is there any laws that tell you how to have both of their parental rights taken away. They never took care of him when they...

Parental rights [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 6 yr old daughter.Paternity hasn't been established.Does the father have any rights? He did sign the birth certificate when she was born.

Regaining Parental Right [ 2 Answers ]

I have a diffult situation that I really need some insight on. I have a 17 1/2 year old daughter that has just recently had contact with her biological father after 9 years. His parental rights were revoked because he was involved in our daughter being sexually assaulted when she was 2. She does...

View more questions Search