Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Panshel55 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2008, 11:41 AM
    Estate Tax and gift tax
    My husband owns a house which we are living in together, and still have a big mortgage.

If my husband adds me onto your deed for his house, is it treated as a gift and he or I have to pay gift tax?

If he die without adding me onto his deed, do I have to pay Estate tax?

If we get divorce without adding me onto his deed, do I need to give up the house even though I pay the mortgage with him? Or can I claim a half of the house?

My husband and I are US residents, but we don't have Green card or US citizenship.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 17, 2008, 06:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Panshel55
    My husband owns a house which we are living in together, and still have a big mortgage.

If my husband adds me onto your deed for his house, is it treated as a gift and he or I have to pay gift tax?
    No - there is an unlimited exclusion to the gift tax for gifts between husband and wife.

If he die without adding me onto his deed, do I have to pay Estate tax?
    No - as with gifts, there is an unlimited exclusion for estate transfers between married people. [/QUOTE]

If we get divorce without adding me onto his deed, do I need to give up the house even though I pay the mortgage with him? Or can I claim a half of the house?
    Would depend on what settlement you reach with your husband. You would certainly try to get as much of the house as possible, but the outcome would depend on factors such as who paid the down payment, was this before you were married, have there been any significant capital improvements and if so who paid for them, etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gag Gift [ 5 Answers ]

I have to buy a gag gift for a friend for an employee christmas party. I need to make or buy a dressing room. I am thinking cheap and simple, this is a gag gift and not really meant to be used. I am thinking somekind of frame and a shower curtian type thing, but I need help with assembly ideas....

"Reaonable" administrator fee - mother's estate Maine Estate Recovery [ 3 Answers ]

RE: State of Maine Recovery Act for Medicaid I have been told by the State of Maine, that they allow the administrator of the estate to receive a 'reasonable' fee for estate administration. I am the administrator. My mother received medical benefits from the State, and under their Recovery...

Do I have my grandmothers gift [ 1 Answers ]

I was told by a palm reader who was right about everything else that I would devlope my "powers" by 35 but I am not so sure, I have no special powers that I know of. My grandmother I am told was a white witch but I did not know her. I am a normal religious person and have many questions about all...

Is this an OK gift? [ 8 Answers ]

My first cousin I s getting married in about 2 months. She and I were never close. When I got married she gave me 1 whine goblet with religious emblems on it (may spent $30.00) had no travel expense. I on the other hand have to drive 6 plus hours (each way) by myself, leaving my child and...

Problems with Executor of Estate not signing sales contract for real estate [ 4 Answers ]

My sister and I are the beneficiaries of our mothers will. She died when I was 17 and left my sister and I half of her estate, and named her doctor as the executor. I am now 22 and my sister is 20 (21 next month). We all agreed (verbally) to sell the family house to our father for $125k. He...

View more questions Search