Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KC911 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2008, 01:07 PM
    Unruley 18 year old stepson
    My stepson is 18 and a senior in high school. He only has 3 classes and he's failing 2 classes. He thinks that he's 18 and he can do what he wants. My husband is at his wits end and has no idea how to punish him. When my husband says something to him, my stepson ignores him or usually storms out of the house gets in his car and leaves. Then refuses to come home for a couple of days. His bedroom is nasty and smells, and he won't do his laundry. He won't talk to my husband with me around. I feel he is running the house. He talks to the school principal with a attitude and he cuts school. The only thing he does that I commend him for is that he has a job, and he always goes. My husband doesn't want to kick him out, or send him back to his mother. His bio mother somewhat neglected him. He has lived full time in our home since 8th grade.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 11, 2008, 01:17 PM
    He's very angry about something. Could his father tell him that he (the father) has made an appointment with a counselor to figure out what he (the father) is doing wrong? Or hey! Even have the father ask his son what you two are doing wrong? (and be sure to listen and empathize and question, not turn it into lecture-time)

Kids like to be asked. They feel like parents and others tell them what to do without considering their feelings or asking for permission. That's what the counselor would do with the father--and with the son if he went to a session or two. The counselor would listen.

Or have a family meeting and, again, listen to what the boy has to say. Don't lecture. He knows exactly what he is doing (but may not realize why), so you don't have to make a list for him and/or accuse him.
    Love-Life Posts: 32, Reputation: 4

Jan 11, 2008, 01:19 PM
    Well he's cutting his own throat isn't he? Hes almost an adult now and he's choosing the path he goes down. Parents cannot choose the path, they can only try their hardest to lead them in the right direction. Hes grown up now, and later in life, he'll realize he wasted his time in school and hopefully upgrade and go to college or university. Eventually he'll come to the point in his life where he matures, and changes his ways, but all you can really do, is let him make his own decisions. He's not a little boy anymore, and he's only ruining his own future not yours.
    EIFS EXPERT Posts: 126, Reputation: 8

Jan 11, 2008, 01:26 PM
    Talk, Talk, Talk. Communication is everything. I don't mean critical conversations, start with compliments and teaching him right from wrong as if he was a small child. Just because he's eighteen doesn't mean he is an adult and is ready to go off on his own. He is struggling with something and it's up to you, the parents, to figure it out and protect him from himself. Otherwise you will have to deal with the tragic results, whatever they may be, later.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

12 year old stepson VERY disrespectful [ 7 Answers ]

I am a step-father to a 12 year old that is very disrespectful. This child has been head strong since day one when I entered there lives five years ago. The father had not been involved in her life until I came into the picture. This child goes to her father every other weekend and two times a...

Red unruley hair [ 5 Answers ]

My hair is red really red and I really like it but it is hard to manage because it is super curl on the bottom and barely curls on the top so I was wondering if there are any cute short hair cut or cute way to style it other than a pony tail. My hair color is close to Kate Walsh (Addison from grey...

My stepson [ 2 Answers ]

My stepson is 15 1/2 and wants to live with us I was wondering what are my steps I need to take to have him come live with us

18 year old stepson moved in, should we kick him out? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, Before I get started, let me apologize for the length of this. You'll need some history to judge this properly. My DH was married 2x before we were married. Has children from both marriages. His 1st wife left him for another man when their only son was 1 yo .He kept up visitation till...

About my stepson [ 9 Answers ]

I'm back! :) it's been quite a while that I didn't log in on this webiste. But all the advise that been given to me it really works. Now, here's another problem with my stepson. His moving back again in the house after 2 months that he move out. Honestly, I'm not comfortable and I feel depresses...

View more questions Search