Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rorie4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2007, 11:31 AM
    Family law on common law relationships
    Hello, I have a question about common-law relationship. I have been in this relationship for 15 years and it looks like we are heading in the "splitsville"!! I would like to know what are my rights? i.e. will I be entitled to a spousal support and what about my son, he lived with us for 15 years? He is my son from previous marriage. Any answers would be much appreciated before I see a family law lawyer.

Thanks,
    R
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2007, 11:39 AM
    1. Not all states are common law. Even if you have marriage papers unless he adopted your son he would not be responsible to pay support for him. 2.Judges do not make a man pay alimony for long periods anymore... esp if you are able to work, unless he is extremely wealthy. I have known women to get six months or so just to get on their feet. That was through legal marriages... I am not in a common law state.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Jan 6, 2012, 06:12 PM
    You really need to talk to an attorney because the laws very from state to state. Good Luck.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 6, 2012, 06:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman2007 View Post
    You really need to talk to an attorney because the laws very from state to state. Good Luck.
    Please watch the dates for the thread you are posting to. This thread is 4 years old. Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Eviction of a family member from a single family home [ 2 Answers ]

My brother who is about 37 years old lives with my father, sister and myself; my brother is an alcoholic and a drug addict and is verbally abusive to my father who is 71 years old and is also disabled. My father wants him to move out of the house; is there a specific amount of time, by law, that...

Relationships and family [ 7 Answers ]

Hola I'm a chicana from la and my cousin is coming to stay at my house. One night me and him was watching the movie matrix and I caught him staring at my feet. I was dangling my sandals and I caught him staring at my feet. I said "what" he was like "nothing". He sat next to me on the couch and he...

Mechanical or Manual adult toys common in today's relationships? [ 5 Answers ]

I am overly curious if adult store products are more common place in today's relationships, or more of a successful topic to mess with my logical way of thinking at work. I don't know maybe I haven't dated anyone that would admit to owning such devices. I donno what do you think? Mess wif the boss,...

View more questions Search