Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hossbonnam Posts: 62, Reputation: 9

Nov 21, 2007, 12:21 PM
    NAME on Birth Certificate
    My G/F will not let our newborn child have my last name.
    She swears that I'm the father and Im pretty sure that I am.
    We both want to be together and get married one day.
    But she still refuses to let me have my name on the birth certificate.

Outr Baby girl was born yesterday, so I have to make a decision in a few hours.

Should I sign?

If I don't then I won't have any rights whatsoever.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Nov 21, 2007, 12:39 PM
    You have rights to ask for DNA tests .First you need to be acknowledged legaly as a father.
    hossbonnam Posts: 62, Reputation: 9

Nov 21, 2007, 01:56 PM
    Yes I know this. She said I'm the father. But should I sign now?
    My only reason for red flag is the fact that she doesn't want my last name on certificate
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 21, 2007, 01:59 PM
    As you already know, it is her decision. Now the reason may be that because the two of you are not married, should you break up, the baby will have her last name. Should the two of you get married, she can change the baby's name to yours. It's much easier to change the last name when there is a marriage, but much harder to change should there be a breakup.

If you know the baby is yours, there should be no reason that you don't sign.
    sdc719 Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Nov 21, 2007, 07:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hossbonnam
    My G/F will not let our newborn child have my last name.
    She swears that im the father and Im pretty sure that I am.
    We both want to be together and get married one day.
    But she still refuses to let me have my name on the birth certificate.

Outr Baby girl was born yesterday, so I have to make a decision in a few hours.

Should i sign?

If I dont then I wont have any rights whatsoever.
    I went through this before and I understand why she is doing it. If things go sour with you guys there is a lot of complications that will arise if the baby has your last name and you guys don't get married. It is very difficult to change the baby's name back to her own if she ends up a single mother. And it shouldn't be a red flag that she is not putting your last name it's a woman's right to decide the last name of your child since you guys didn't marry before she gave birth. Also if you are sure the baby is yours then you two should go to the attorney general's office and sign an AOP (acknowledgement of paternity) otherwise if you do the paternity testing the cost is going to fall on you (usually costs 200.00 and up). Oh, and if you are wanting to be involved with the child it would be to your benefit to sign the birth certificate to cover yourself in the parental rights area unless you want to fight for rights later on.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 21, 2007, 07:50 PM
    Personally I would worry why if the baby is yours, and you plan on getting married for real, why she would not let the baby have your name.

So I would not sign, I would request a DNA test just to be sure, and then you still have all the rights if you do split up
    Questionshelp Posts: 153, Reputation: 1
    -

Nov 22, 2007, 10:36 AM
    The ball is in your court. Try to come to an understanding between the both of you.
    2tough4u Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Jan 11, 2010, 12:51 PM
    This happened to me with my son, except that in my case there was no question that I was the father. The real issue (as far as I see it) was that I was in a bi-racial relationship and my girl's parents who only had a single female child wanted to keep my child and their family name going. To be honest with you, I told my girl that if the child did not bear my last name I would disown it. To me as a man and a father it is the ultimate disrespect for a woman to deny a child of mine to carry on my family name. Despite what anyone says, it speaks poorly of you if your kid has another name. What it says is that the mother didn't think you were worth much as a man, or that your paternity is in question. Trust me, if the mother doesn't have faith in your relationship now you are not going to last together. I won my challenge.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 11, 2010, 01:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hossbonnam View Post
    Should i sign?

If I dont then I wont have any rights whatsoever.
    Where do you get that idea? Signing a birth certificate gives you no additional rights. If you are the father you have parental rights, but you would have to go to court to prove and enforce them. Your signature on the BC would not prove much of anything in such a contest.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 11, 2010, 01:19 PM

This thread is TWO YEARS OLD.

Closed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Birth Certificate [ 3 Answers ]

How do I go about adding my son's father's name to the birth certificate?

Birth Certificate [ 3 Answers ]

My fiancé just left for Iraq this week. We are expecting a baby in November. Since we aren't married how can he be put on the baby's birth certificate?

Birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

What do I have to do to get my daughters father to place his name on her birth certificate. We are not married but we did have a DNA test done prior to her birth. If he is unwilling to do it ion his own can the courts ask him to do this? I think she has the right to have his name on there.

Birth certificate [ 5 Answers ]

As an adult is there any way to get your parents names off your birth certificate? Can that area of the birth certificate be blank?

Birth Certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I gave birth to my child but it wasn't my ex husband. We were separated for a while but we didn't get a divorce yet. In child birth certificate, there is no name on the father status because I was still married. Hospital left it blank because I was still married. Now that I'm divorce. I want the...

View more questions Search