Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Madison123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2007, 06:17 AM
    If we were to get married?
    My boyfriend and I want to get married we have been with each other for three years and we both just turned 17 and I am 7 months pregnant with his baby his family is doing what ever they can to keep us apart and they keep threatening him if he doesn't do what they tell him to. In Baltimore, MD you do not need to have parental consent to get married if the bride is pregnant [& yes I have called the clerks office in Baltimore to verify all of this and it is true] we just need a note from my doctor stating that I am pregnant which I already got. But him and I are afraid that If we come back his parents could make us get a divorce or something else to get us apart ! Is there anything they could do to us once we are married?
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2007, 06:21 AM
    Other than deny you a place to live - if you were planning on living with him, I don't think they can make you get a divorce.
    They may not make things easy - but I don't think they can make you do anything.
    Madison123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2007, 06:24 AM
    My mom is all for us getting married and said we could live with her until we finish college but his parents will do ANYTHING and I mean ANYTHING they can to do something to us once they find out we got married that's why I am asking this question.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2007, 07:18 AM
    Well, legally, can they do anything? If the state is saying you can get married and your parents are willing to help - what can they do?
    Is your safety into question? Are they saying they will cut all ties with your boyfriend? Legally, it doesn't sound like there is anything they can do.
    sdc719 Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Nov 21, 2007, 08:04 PM
    It doesn't sound to me like they can do anything to force a divorce upon you two. I guess if your state says you can legally get married then they would have nothing legally to do to make you two get a divorce. It seems to me in this situation that you two are very mature and responsible for your age and that's not the same that I can say for his parents. I would also like to applaude your mother for supporting your decisions and insisting you two finish college! You guys might have to cut ties with his parents now, but you two will technically be adults when your baby's born and in about a year from now. His parents might just be disappointed in their son and may think his future is crushed because he had a child @ 17. My parents thought the same thing when I had my son @ 16 but he's 4 now and it's like once that baby was born he was the link that bonded our families together! Not only that he was my inspiration for graduating high school with honors despite the school trying to kick me out for being pregnant. He also inspired me to continue on to college which I will be finishing with a major in Health Information Management in 2009. (took a little time off between high school and college but getting it done.) I wish you two the best of luck with your child and don't let anything hold you back!! Things may be rough now but its God's way of preparing you for real life.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2007, 08:30 PM
    Legally they can not break you up. If they case serious problems for the two of you you should be able to get a PFA against them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Married and falling for a married man [ 16 Answers ]

I met this married man doing volunteer work. I noticed that he was nice looking and he was helpful with what I needed. I do fundraisers for the Humane Society. Anyway, he told me to contact when I needed his help and he would donate a portion of money from his business. He gave me his business card...

I am in love with 2 men, 1 is getting married and I am married to the other [ 12 Answers ]

Never ever thought I would be posting a question on a site - but life got me here:rolleyes: I am a happily married woman - happily married if you remove the sex out of marriage. My partner was never very interested in sex and that was something I had comfortably accepted. We lived happily for...

In love with a married man and I am married too. [ 21 Answers ]

I have being married for 11 yrs. And going with a married man for 9 yrs. What do I do? He tells me he love me but, yet keeps important information from me that I needs to know. He puts other people in our relationship, and that's has caused a problem for us. I know that is not right to be with him...

Boyfriend getting married soon [ 12 Answers ]

My boyfriend is getting married in a little while. We have been on and off for the past 4 yrs. He says he still has time and that his parents are looking for a match for him. This is because he is muslim and that's how it usually works. I myself am muslim as well and yea our parents don't really...

View more questions Search