Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    my4bablies Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2007, 01:07 PM
    Their father is in jail, can I get full custody?
    The father of my 2 little girls is in jail and has a rap sheet as long as the webster dictionary. I fear when he gets out he will take them from me. There is a child support order, however the Domestic Relations office has put it on hold due to him being incarserated. Can I file for full custody now while he's in jail?:confused: :confused:
    Antbowen Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2007, 01:11 PM
    No judge in their right mind would give your children to this man.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2007, 01:19 PM
    I am assuming that you live in the United States when you speak of the Domestic Relations office. It is my understanding that the DRO is there to ensure child support orders are followed. If this is true, then the fact that they have temporarily put the order on hold because he is incarcerated has nothing to do with custody. If you can afford one, see a lawyer. Most will give you a free 1/2 hour consult anyway, so if you can't afford one, look for a couple of Family Lawyers in the phone book, do a Google search on them to see if you can find any negative information about them, then call and say, "I am a single mom and my ex is in jail. I would like to know if you will offer a free consultation to discuss my obtaining full custody of my children."

I would meet with two or three lawyers, asking about their thoughts on it, fees, if you might qualify for legal aid, etc. They WILL guide you. If you know for sure that you will qualify for legal aid, go down to your local Legal Aid office and speak to them about what your needs are. Most of them have lawyers who donate some time who should be willing to meet with you for a few minutes to discuss this issue for free, whether you qualify or not.

Good luck!

Hugs, Didi
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 19, 2007, 05:24 PM
    First please don't use PMs to ask questions.

The father can threaten all he wants, but I agree that its unlikley a judge would allow him even access to the children. And yes please do file for sole custody.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2007, 08:18 AM
    Yes you can and should file for full custody while he is in jail.

Good luck :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I ask for full custody? [ 51 Answers ]

My son is 3 months. I was never married to his father. His father has 4 felonies and a criminal record that is 35 pages long. He has had an addiction to cocaine since he was 19 and he is now 31. Since I have known him he has not been clean for more than 3 months. He has been through rehab at...

Father always in jail [ 1 Answers ]

My daughters father is always in and out of jail she has never met him or knows about him. He tried contacting us about year ago when he got out of jail, but by the time I found out he was back in. I don't want my daughter to have to deal with that all her life I have since remarried and she...

My sister has full custody [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I writing to get some information about getting custody of my nephews. My sister, doesn't have time to be with her children. She always leaves them with babysitters, family or friends. When she divorced her husband the court awarded her full custody. I can't say that the children are left...

How Do I Give my baby's Father Full custody [ 2 Answers ]

I want to give my baby's dad full custody of our baby. What do I need to do

Adoption/full custody [ 3 Answers ]

I am marrying a man with two children. He is about to go to court to battle for full custody. When I marry him, and he has full custody, will I be able to adopt the children or will the mother have to give up parental rights?

View more questions Search