Ask
    lout Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2007, 09:21 PM
    A mother needing to know the law
    Can a unmarried Texas mother move out of state while the father is in jail
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2007, 05:44 AM
    It depends if the father's name is on the birth certificate and if the he's been ordered to pay support. In Wisconsin, you need to notify both the other parent and the court if you're moving out of state with the child; if the other parent doesn't approve, they can contest the matter and you'll have to wait and see what the court says.
    Hope this helped!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 16, 2007, 05:50 AM
    Sorry to disagree but name on birth certificate and paying child support has nothing to do with it what so ever. It all depends on the child custody agreement that is in place, If the child custody agreement says you can't, you can not with out going back to court and getting it modified.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2007, 08:25 AM
    I only asked about the birth certificate because of parental rights. As in: if there's no proof that he's the father, would she even have to notify him that she was moving?

I brought up child support because if he is paying, then there would be an agreement, just like you said. That agreement would define what steps she would have to take if she wanted to move out of state with the child.

I probably should have been more thorough in my asking and explaining the first time *lol*
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 16, 2007, 08:28 AM
    A child support agreement is separate from a custody/visitation agreement. The ONLY thing that matters here is whether there is a custody/visitation agreement in place. If, by moving, it makes it more difficult for the father to use his visitation then the mother would need to get court permission to move.

If there is no such agreement then the mother is free to move.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mother-In-Law Acts Like My Children's Mother [ 6 Answers ]

I would like some advice on how to handle a situation with my mother-in-law. My mother-in-law was always the kind of woman who loved kids immensely, wanted to be a stay-at-home mom, her whole life revolves around her kids, etc. I think that is absolutely fabulous. Me, on the other hand, I've...

Confused about Mother-In-Law [ 2 Answers ]

I have been with my husband for 7 years now. We have 5 children between us and one together. We love each other and our drama filled family very much. My mother-in-law and I have had a very wonderful relationship. We even went to California together on vacation. The problem I have encountered is...

Crazy Mother in Law [ 4 Answers ]

My husband tells me stories about when he was little and his mom would burn his fingers with matches when he was bad. Three months ago, we had our 15 month old baby boy over their and his older cousin (who is 6) was picking on the baby and yelling at him. My husband told the kid to knock it off. ...

We need my mother-in-law off the deed! [ 1 Answers ]

My question is simple and quite frankly probably silly to all of you... but I need to get my mother-in-law off our deed. She is on it with my husband but has NO monetary obligation to the property. THe mortgage is in my husbands name only. I know that we have to quit claim her off, but my...

Ex mother in law.. What is she doing? [ 4 Answers ]

Hey.. You might remember me from my last post.. It was about my ex sending all kinds of sings he misses me(Posting our picture as his Myspace default, as his msn messenger display, sending me romantic songs that say "i miss you", asking me for pictures of the 2 of us.. etc) and me being confused...

View more questions Search