Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kayteek Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2007, 03:38 PM
    Temporary Custody of Children
    My boyfriend has temporary full custody of his 2 children. We live in Missouri. The children's mother only has supervised visitation every Sunday but never takes it. We already went to court to finalize the parenting plan, and she is allowed the children every other Sunday after it is finalized. We will then have full custody. My questions are simple, yet it seems like we can never get an answer. Please help if you can.

Can we take the children on vacation? (If we miss one of her Sunday visits, that she never shows for will we be in trouble?)

After our custody arangments are in place, can we move out of the state? (my boyfriend will be going into the Navy)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 13, 2007, 03:53 PM
    To the Vacation question the answer is yes as long as you either get the mom's permission or are not away for her scheduled visit. I know this is a pain since you know she won't show up. But a court order is a court order. If, after further time, you document her not showing, you can petition the court for a modification. But as long as the court says you have to make the kids available to her every other Sunday, then you have to do it.

So that means that moving, without permission of the mom or the court is out of the question.
    Kayteek Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2007, 04:41 PM
    Thank you for your answer. We won't move without permission. The chidrens GAL says moving should not be a problem, especially with him going into the naval reserve.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 13, 2007, 04:52 PM
    That just means the GAL thinks the court will not prevent the move if requested. But you will need to ask first.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2007, 11:53 AM
    Yes, you can take the children on vacation. You may need to include in your parenting plan some provision for giving the mother advance notice when you plan to go away so that she'll know that she won't have visitation with them that particular Sunday. You may need to be prepared to give her another day as compensation. But if she never shows up for her scheduled visitations anyway, then it probably doesn't matter. As far as moving, if she contests it, it becomes a little trickier as your boyfriend is knowingly choosing a job (Navy) that will require a lot of travel and relocation. It'd be one thing if he were already previously established in that particular venue. But the fact that the mother doesn't exercise what limited visitation she's been awarded will weigh in your favor should she contest the move. If she doesn't, then you really don't have a problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Temporary child custody [ 3 Answers ]

We have had temp custody of our granddaughter since she was born 14 yrs ago. Now her mother has decided that she wants her to move in with her, and has now gotten her father involved (they never married) (whom our granddaughter has never met and after 14 yrs has finally talked to him yesturday...

Getting temporary custody? [ 8 Answers ]

:confused: I am 18 years old I have a one and a half year old daughter and I married her father. Her father and I are separated no paperwork or temporary custody has been filed. The father has kept her away from me for a month now.. and he is just now letting me vist her and it is only...

Temporary Custody? [ 5 Answers ]

I am 21 years old, married and the aunt of 5 children. Before I start, I am very mature for my age and I always have been. My sister of 5 children (only 2 from the same father) has always had drug problems off and on during her life- she has been going through a MAJOR patch the last 2 years. The 2...

Temporary custody [ 1 Answers ]

Mother has custody of my 2 sons through final orders .she wants to send one of them to me.can a document be drawn up to make a temporary agreement that is separate to the final orders?

Temporary Custody [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I would like to know if temporary custody is given in one state(GA) then the child is taken out of state to (VA). Does GA. Still have jurisdiction over the case.

View more questions Search